WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH ALL THESE EGGS?!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hear you... I skipped collecting eggs yesterday, today I gathered up 44. I usually get 12 to 14 a day but my first brood of 13 from early spring have now come into full lay now. So it's looking like I'll be averaging somewhere around 20 a day now. At least until I process the older hens - just waiting for it to cool off a little more first.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The tiny eggs are wonderful for pickling. When I started selling eggs a few years ago, a local restaurant asked for all my pullet eggs, so they can pickle it for salads. I ended up taking them some of my MIL's bantam eggs later as well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
waretrop ---- you have many chickens -- do you have a cull & butcher time each year to replenish with younger? Just wondering what you do with the ones no longer laying up to norm. You probably keep 125 + in your general "laying" flock?

Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awesome ideas everyone! :thumbsup

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pound cakes normally take 10ish eggs. Angel food ones also, but only whites. Quiche, I love. Hard boiled for salads, sandwiches, snacks. or back into chicken feed.

When I have an abundance -- not now as 1/2 of regular flock are molting o_O and young ones don't start for another month or 2 --
I sometimes make a breakfast casserole with eggs, potatoes, sausage/bacon/ham (whatever I have) & send it to work with DD. She has 10-15 co-workers on any given day. :cool: They love it. I used to do this when I worked at an office, no longer do.

AND I share with those who may enjoy or need them.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses Yes I have them banded, so I know their ages. About 2 times a year I take them to a friend and she does what she wants to with them. Is that what you mean?