WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH ALL THESE EGGS?!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Custard. Im thinking of making some this week.

And some pickled eggs.

Remember lemon curd can be canned and will keep for up to three months that way. It starts breaking down after that

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm failing at eating eggs! My standbys are french toast casserole (12 eggs), eggnog (used 30 eggs in eggnog in the last week), lemon curd (12 yolks) and egg white soufflé (12 whites), and deviled eggs (12)

I've been making those and am down to 7... dozen. :hide

I don't want to cull hens. I sell 1 dozen per week, and if we cull I won't have enough eggs to try to get new egg customers next year. But if we have excess eggs, DH will cull without consulting me. :smack

We're having egg salad sandwiches for lunch this week. I think I can use a dozen there.

help. Please. Drowning in eggs.

Perfect time of year to donate to the local homeless shelters or food banks, if they will take them. I used to donate my extra eggs to a local food bank and they were eager to get them. Try asking at your local senior center as well....those folks will often take excess veggies, fruit and eggs off your hands.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise what about going to town with eggs and calling on office buildings? We sell eggs to a lawyer's office and a dentist office, plus friends.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cook them & feed back to chickens. Save on feed costs and DH won't see this because they will be eaten. :idunno

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Perfect time of year to donate to the local homeless shelters or food banks, if they will take them. I used to donate my extra eggs to a local food bank and they were eager to get them. Try asking at your local senior center as well....those folks will often take excess veggies, fruit and eggs off your hands.
This is what I was going to suggest too!

Or get more egg customers. The more eggs you sell, the less money from your pocket for feed. BTW, it's amazing that you have so many eggs in the middle of winter. I wish I had that problem lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get a pig! (because they're super fun to raise in the winter.... Not)

How many chickens do you have? I haven't had a single egg in a loooong time.... I'm a little envious of your problem!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader we have somewheres about 20 hens. We've been getting 11 - 13 eggs per day. Yesterday only 6, so I'm hoping for a bit of a break before spring. :gig

Egg customers are hard to find here. "Everyone" has chickens, and nobody is going to drive by our place without driving by several other places to buy farm eggs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have the same problem. Everyone here has chickens, or buys eggs from someone else already. Every local store has local eggs for sale. I am trying to keep my flock small knowing I really have few options for getting rid of excess eggs!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I started selling eggs I was the only supplier in quite a large area for real free range eggs and then I sold them at exactly half what the supermarket was selling their so-so eggs for (their price was ridiculous at the time). I never had enough eggs for everyone that wanted.

And I had between 50 and 60 layers