WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH ALL THESE EGGS?!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL, yep! Just thinking that was a lot of butchering! You are a real worker/canner with your foods -- so, I just assumed you may do that also. (not my fav job when I do it!) Nice option you have for them and you and the friend.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have butchered some but they are much too old. They taste horrible for they are 4 and 5 years old. They make great broth.

chicken broth 20166.jpg

I never use water when making noodles or rice nor do I use bouillon cubes when making sauces or soups. I have 100 pints of broth canned up for that.

Now it's time to share...My friend does many things with my old chickens. I don't ask and I don't tell...LO

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My older hens make the best, most flavorful broth...and are the most tasty when canned in the jar. They hold fat within their muscle fibers, more so even than my WR roosters do, so their meat turns out tender, closely fibered~not stringy, and just wonderful soup meat. Younger birds don't have the depth of flavor and fat an older hen has.

I also like to use the canned chicken in other recipes...makes the BEST chicken alfredo.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh that is funny you said that...The only ones I tried to cook were the roosters at 4 years old....they were terrible. Now you make me think I should try a hen to see if it is better. Yes I can the broth of my chickens and buy chicken to can for ourselves. Yes I do all kinds of things with it. We especially like it on lettuce salad for a quick evening meal when I don;t want to cook or have a mess...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh that is funny you said that...The only ones I tried to cook were the roosters at 4 years old....they were terrible. Now you make me think I should try a hen to see if it is better. Yes I can the broth of my chickens and buy chicken to can for ourselves. Yes I do all kinds of things with it. We especially like it on lettuce salad for a quick evening meal when I don;t want to cook or have a mess...

Yeah, those older birds don't cook up too well, even with hours of stewing in a crockpot they are still dry and stringy. But put those same birds in a canner or pressure cooker and they are rendered juicy, tender and tasty. I debone them, cut them into bite size pieces, cold pack them tight in the jar with salt and water...comes out amazing!

It's food fit for a king!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Puff Pancakes
melt 3 tb butter in two cake pans (or as I use medium size skillets)
then mix......
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp of vanilla
split the batter between the two pans/tins and stick in the oven at 375*
I bake for 20 minutes for myself (they will collapse a little after you take them out at that time). If you like things crispier on the edge or would like them to hold their 'puff' for better presentation then bake them a bit longer. If I bake longer I turn the oven down to 325* for the last half. with some whipped cream and fresh fruit they make an outstanding and easy fancy breakfast.

Eggnog is a family tradition. My Great Grandmother made it for Christmas breakfast. Everyone drank it, even little kids. My Mother remembered drinking eggnog at breakfast on Christmas morning. My non drinking parents always drank eggnog made by my Grandmother and let me have some too. Before my Grandmother died and took the recipe with her, we watched her make it and wrote it down. I hope ya'll love it as much as my family does.

Mamma Wall's Eggnog
12 eggs, separated
12 heaping tablespoons of sugar
12 shots of bourbon (I use 6)
1 half pint whipping cream
1 cup milk
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Beat whipping cream until stiff.
Beat egg yolks, add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
Continue beating egg yolks, slowly add bourbon 1 shot at a time. Beat egg yolk mixture thoroughly while
adding bourbon. The bourbon cooks the egg yolks-if you just dump the bourbon in you will get curdled eggs.
With a large spoon or spatula, fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture. Then fold in the egg
whites. Stir in the milk.
Serve in cups with nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled on top.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make deviled eggs.

When you make the pound cake, use the yolks and make crème brulee. It is awesome, I bought a small torch to melt the sugar topping.

Lemon Chess Pie
Ingredients
  • 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry (or frozen)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Directions
  • 1. Unroll pastry on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
  • 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the lemon juice, butter, cornmeal, flour and salt.
  • 3. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have always LOVED chess pie! Haven't made creme brulee in ages; I never used a torch for the sugar topping- I had a cast iron disk on a long handle that was heated on the burner and then used on the sugar like a branding iron. It was a bit tricky; if you heated the cast iron too hot, it would burn the sugar, but if you didn't heat it enough you ended up with some non-caramelized sugar.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm failing at eating eggs! My standbys are french toast casserole (12 eggs), eggnog (used 30 eggs in eggnog in the last week), lemon curd (12 yolks) and egg white soufflé (12 whites), and deviled eggs (12)

I've been making those and am down to 7... dozen. :hide

I don't want to cull hens. I sell 1 dozen per week, and if we cull I won't have enough eggs to try to get new egg customers next year. But if we have excess eggs, DH will cull without consulting me. :smack

We're having egg salad sandwiches for lunch this week. I think I can use a dozen there.

help. Please. Drowning in eggs.