What to do with all that milk!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So where's the pics boss lady? Hmmm? Are you still milking goats!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pigs are reaping the bounty these days. I've got my extra refrigerator chock full of milk. I can't keep up with it, lol. I don't want to stop milking any of them because I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell one or more and they sure sell better if they are in milk!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sell the extra milk? Advertise it as "for pets or soap"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, today I began milking again. Yep, it has begun!! :drool

See, I have 5 does in milk. Since they had kids nursing, big time, they have good production. 3 with twins, 2 with trips. I have used this to keep them producing while my own schedule calmed some. But, calm or not, yesterday was a good goat auction and I took 7 boys. ( 2 wouldn't/couldn't load with me alone and fighting others to stay IN the trailer. Had to leave.) Now, four of the five has one to nurse, fifth has twins to nurse....for a day or two. Separating the 2 bucklings tomorrow.

With that nice check in the bank, 7 head less to worry about, I let them out onto a fresh area of browse. They came back up to the barn area just stuffed & ready to chew cud. The boys had not been with them! One doe had not been nursed since daybreak. Let's just say -- she was READY to milk.

NONE of the 5 does has been milked before. Being the optimist I just put the collars on 3 without, got my equipment & a small fence panel. Led the first into the corner, hooked her to fence and had panel making triangle there. So full, I didn't offer feed.
She put up a little resistance for about a minute, until I squirted a little from each side & slid the cup on one side. That milk came pouring out. LOL She moved a tiny bit once. TADA!! Mini Nub, 1.5 QT. Let her out. Feeling really good -- I brought in one of the Saanens, Brat, and she was pretty much exactly the same. Another 1.5 qt and her doe had almost emptied one side already. Kids were nursing other 3 by then, so I let that be it for today. :clap

NOW this thread needs more activity!! :thumbsup

I'll be moving the two boys tomorrow, then weaning the 4 doelings by end of week....soon as I get their shed re-arranged.
Then I will be in your shoes, FEM, with 5 does milking! We'll see how that goes as I might be overwhelmed. :lol::old It may be that I leave doelings on for another week, separate at night only.
Then 4 can be 1X day...1 will be 2X.

:celebrateHAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !! I LOVE GOAT MILK.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish I lived closer to both of you. I have no does in milk this year and all the time in the world(that's not really true but I don't have a "real" job). I would so help you with chores in exchange for some milk;)

Glad you got rid of some of those boys!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd do that in a heartbeat! A little help is always nice. :cool:

My own children won't even use the milk. :rolleyes: Actually DD is not a milk drinker, DgrD won't try it, DS won't try it either. Dummies.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Five does in milk and no piggies? It might be time for a few more mouths to feed, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My chickens like it, dog and cats and me....that's all folks! No piggies until the freezer full is used. :idunno Less feed is good.

Most of the cheese freezes well. Can make more soaps. Summer coming, ice cream time. I love ice cream! :drool Caramel sauce, butter, yogurt, help me out!!!:D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made ice cream a couple times and it is deeeee lish!

Tonight I found another way to use the chevre. I took a log of it and sliced it into rounds - dusted em with four, dunked 'em in an egg wash and then pressed 'em into some flavored panko bread crumbs.....tossed those babies into a fryin' pan with a little olive oil and fried 'em up. Holy moly they were good dipped into some marinara sauce.