What to do with all that milk!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was shocked when I learned how to make it just how simple it was! I made sea salt and dill a lot, that was yummy! Now I'm craving chevre... Mmm

Do you always use vegetable rennet? I've heard vegetable and animal act a little differently, just curious!

Is that link where you get all your supplies? I bought a bunch from New England Cheesemaking Company but I thought it was kind of expensive. Maybe that's just me being cheap, lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, that does look and sound very simple and greatly rewarding! I'm going to have to find some proper milk somewhere, so I can try this...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my! I sure do wish I had fresh milk. I really love the taste of goat cheese from the store. The family thinks it's a little sharp but yummmm. :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, that cottage cheese sounds dead simple to make! I really need to get some proper milk. Pity you live so far away, or I'd be round with a jug! ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's essentially how to make ricotta, if I remembemr correctly. So what is the difference between the two, I wonder?

Sounds delicious either way!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not to be out done by Liqueuer - here's a recipe for Mardi Gras Milk Punch!

Mardi Gras Milk Punch
Serves 6 to 8

2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup bourbon or whiskey
6 tablespoons confectioners sugar
Splash of pure vanilla extract
Chocolate syrup, for garnish

Place milk, cream, bourbon, sugar, and vanilla in a blender. Add a handful of ice cubes. Blend until frothy and chilled. Serve with a drizzle of chocolate syrup!