What's for dinner tonight?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep, yummy yum.
Remove the spine, chop it into bite sized pieces, saute it with some garlic, onions & butter (or bacon fat) til it turns bright green. Add some cheese or a scrambled egg, salt & pepper. My mouth is watering as I type.
Works well in soups that simmer for a while, cause it holds up & doesn't disintegrate like spinach.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Yep, yummy yum.
Remove the spine, chop it into bite sized pieces, saute it with some garlic, onions & butter (or bacon fat) til it turns bright green. Add some cheese or a scrambled egg, salt & pepper. My mouth is watering as I type.
Works well in soups that simmer for a while, cause it holds up & doesn't disintegrate like spinach.
I wasn't sure what you were talking about when I read this...kale! I was thinking some kind of animal at first...

Love kale!! I love all greens, swiss chard is really yummy too and both are VERY, VERY easy to grow.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah kale :lol: some kind of animal.. :gig
I'm all about the greens, they really are easy to grow, most of them anyways. Spinach can be touchy with our weather.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I splurged last night at the health food store. I got stevia, "French Celtic" sea salt AND here is the big splurge: organic, grass fed rib eye steak!! $16.99 per lb!!! :hide GASP!! The steak I picked out was $11.45...it will feed two people. But still. Anyway I just had to do it, just this once.

(If I had the land I would raise grass fed beef cattle.)

(I have to give a shout out to Central Market!! Love that place, they try to buy from local farms etc. Too bad it is a heck of a drive for me...maybe that is a good thing; I spent a small fortune in there!)

So for lunch (rather than dinner) it will be more brussel sprouts, steak seasoned with just salt and pepper (gotta see what the taste is like as grass fed) and a nice tomato and onion salad. :drool

Dinner is the piggy sholder working in the crock pot. I have a nice purple cabbage ready to be steamed and smeared with butter, garlic and my new FC sea salt. :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow--those meals sound great!!

Tonight is either leftover veggie soup or white-bean chili, or maybe a fresh baby greens salad with chicken breast, red onion slices and homemade Greek dressing. I'll probably use up some oldish yogurt, too, with some fresh cornbread to "dress up" the leftover soup, if soup is what I go with.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm ready for some stick to my ribs food.

So, tonight is beef sausage, pinto beans, corn, turnip greens, fried taters and cornbread.

Yum! Yum!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sounds good punkin!

Mmmm, cornbread and yogurt, my favorite! My good friend and past assistant would bring me her home made cornbread and a side of plain yogurt when it was her turn to bring lunch. I wish I had some right now!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had smoked pork shoulder,,puled and BBQ'd
I put the smoker to work yesterday, just to try it out, before I get the fresh hams. I smoked a small pork shoulder...then last night I put it in the crock..and slow cooked it all night. This morning I pulled it, and BBQ'd it for sandwiches. Yum, yum!
I think tomorrow, I will put a chicken in the rotissere' with steamed taters,garlic, and onion....on the side.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Mmmm, cornbread and yogurt, my favorite! My good friend and past assistant would bring me her home made cornbread and a side of plain yogurt when it was her turn to bring lunch. I wish I had some right now!
Oops. I guess I wasn't clear. :) I use the yogurt IN the cornbread, not beside it. I ended up making pumpkin cornbread instead, forgot the eggs, and it turned out perfectly anyway! We had it with white-bean-chicken chili, stir-fried broccoli raab :sick and sweet potatoes. :drool

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I bought some beautiful swiss chard to try. Still pondering the best way to prepare it.

I made last nights pizza dough with half whole wheat flour and no one noticed :thumbsup teaching a friend how to make dough on Thurs, so maybe I will go 3/4 WW and see how it goes.

Not sure what is for dinner yet tonight....I have a couple of butternut squash that I want to use. I was going to make a butternut squash pasta sauce, but I would rather ease up on the carbs.......so maybe butternut soup?