What's for dinner tonight?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, I'm tryin' to lower our carb intake, so last night was grilled chicken, fresh green beans and squash casserole. The squash didn't go over very well. I was told "I really just don't like squash" (unless of course I dip it in flour and fry.

we'll try something new tonight.

I'm gonna try to steam a califlower and mash it like potatoes. lots of butter, salt and pepper

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
One of our favorite squash recipes (I use zucchini) is to slice it. Sautee garlic in a little butter and olive oil, add the zucchini, cook for a few minutes (keep tossing so you do not burn your garlic) season with a little sea salt & pepper....top with a nice topping of freshly grated parm or asiago.

One of the things that I have found helpful in transforming how we eat, it to keep things familiar....like, if your family like cauliflower then serve it the way they like it.....when people have things on their plates that are comfortable and familiar they are less likely to balk about something missing....like carbs.
Make the bulk of dinner something familiar and then add in a little something new to try. Take it slow, perhaps have a carb a few times a week, but keep the servings small.

So has your DD figured out what you are up to?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, sorta.

after school she was going to have a bowl of cereal. I said "hey, how about some cheese & meat roll ups instead., they're better for you". she just shrugged adn got a chunk of cheese. (she can't ever do exactly what I ask, has to be "her idea".... teenagers!)

we eat alot of grilled chicken and they love fresh green beans with butter, so I thought just adding the squash would be ok. nope, don't like it.

We are huge garlic people, so maybe tonight I'll try the zucchini and garlic. I have a bunch of that and yellow squash.

we don't eat cauliflower, so I thought maybe something new. I know they LOVE parm cheese

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Another thing that has helped me is to preempt the snacking with ready made snacks setting out....veggies and dip will get eaten if the magically appear on the counter. Otherwise, left to their own devices, it is crackers!

It takes a while. Be patient... baby steps will get you to the finish line! :thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I say to Nicole---you want some Doritos or something---and she says, no, I want baby carrots and dip. or tuna and crackers.

LOL

my kid does ask for the good stuff thank goodness...LOL

I love it in her!!!! And I instilled it in her from a baby literally.....so it will work out well for me in the long run!

but she never asks for fruit....I do have to show it to her. Then she scarfs it down.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think we will have leftovers. I have so many things I want to make but still 2 pots of soup in the fridge!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
going out to eat tonight.
nothing fancy...thinking about Chili's 2 for $20 deal. split appetizer, small entree and split a dessert. Nicole will eat off our plates. She just loves the dessert anyway when eating out..HA HA

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If the junky stuff isn't in the house, the problem is solved. So when the stuff is used up, just don't replace it. Teens and hubby's can buy it for snacks when they are out and about. That is my policy here, anyways, and it works.

Keep experimenting. If the family doesn't like squash, don't serve it....or find ways to get them to eat it. I find that drowning veggies in cheese makes dh eat just about anything! :p We find that we only like acorn squash baked, and other squashes I have to hide in other things for us to eat them.....baked, puree'd, and added a cup or so at a time to soups and stews. Same with zuchinni. I grow it because it comes in so early and it is so prolific. I shred it and freeze it and add a little to spaghetti sauce and chili. I slice a few of the very little ones that don't have seeds yet and add them to casseroles like tomato basil pie or zuchinni casserole.....sliced zukes layered with spaghetti sauce and cheese, and topped with mozzarella and baked at 350 for 30 minutes. A great source of veggies.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
zuchinni casserole.....sliced zukes layered with spaghetti sauce and cheese, and topped with mozzarella and baked at 350 for 30 minutes. A great source of veggies.
oh, that sounds good.

I like pretty much anything, but my hubby and DD is sooo picky!

really it's my fault tho' cause for years I cooked the "stick to your ribs" "good ol' southern cookin'" comfort food.

of course, I do all the shopping, so it looks like they have no choice!

Latest posts