What's for dinner tonight?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Free is so right!

Now that all of the crap (except a couple boxes of decent crackers that I keep on hand and peanut butter filled pretzels) they reach for other things, like bananas, strawberries veggies & dip and *GASP* a yogurt! :th

Teens are hard to persuade.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I never had too much junk around here, but I did have ww breads and crackers, oh and ww pasta too.

I just don't buy it anymore, I think we have a loaf of frozen sprouted bread left but all that other stuff I used up and won't be buying it anymore.

The frozen sprouted bread lasts forever b/c it has to be stored in the freezer. It isn't cheap, but it is helping me wean off sandwiches until I can get more ideas on the lower carb thing.

Last night we had a nice slow cooked (locally raised) piggy sholder with bright purple cabbage steamed and buttered.

Tonight it will be the same probably b/c I have a lot left over. I'll also add roasted brussel sprouts to the meal too since everything else is already cooked.

Lunch is Kosher hotdogs (no ifs, ands or butts...I love their commercial!) with brown mustard and my homemade sauerkraut! :drool (This lunch was inspired by freemotion! :D)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One thing that helped here was having a garden. I do most of it, but dh helps a bit, and has pride in my work. I ask him to pick veggies, mostly. I've found that he will eat new veggies with fewer "comments" :rolleyes: if they came from our garden. We eat lots of zucchini in season, then almost never buy it in the store.

Yeah, kids and hubbies will resist change, but will develop a taste for the good foods eventually. My dh is starting to comment on how much better my food tastes over the stuff he eats outside of the house. Of course, there is a learning curve in cooking this way, so it is getting better! He is getting much more helpful. He was so good about helping get today's 45 lbs of turkey into and out of the oven. I could never lean forward and lift that pan safely! I want him to pick up more, so I talked enthusiastically about turkey pot pie with a ww biscuit topping.....he almost drooled..... :drool

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Dace said:
Another thing that has helped me is to preempt the snacking with ready made snacks setting out....veggies and dip will get eaten if the magically appear on the counter. Otherwise, left to their own devices, it is crackers!

It takes a while. Be patient... baby steps will get you to the finish line! :thumbsup
this is so true. I'll have veggies and dip on the counter, or apple slices with peanut butter and honey dip, or fresh made biscuits. If it's there -they will eat it. then sometimes, even if it's not there--they wil make it themselves. as long as there are not crackers or prepackaged food in the house for them to grab instead.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If the junky stuff isn't in the house, the problem is solved. So when the stuff is used up, just don't replace it. Teens and hubby's can buy it for snacks when they are out and about. That is my policy here, anyways, and it works.
Excactly. I had to go cold turkey with the crackers and breakfast cereal for my son. He's adapting. I just have to make sure that there are healthy things that he likes in the house, or I have a rebellion on my hands.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see a grilled steak, which is actually what we are having tonight! Some kind of squash as a side. And a chopped salad. Here's a recipe I use:

Chop:
1 onion
1 pepper, any color, but green makes it pretty
1 tomato
1 cucumber, if you have it

make a simple dressing:
about equal parts lemon juice to oilve oil, I usually juice a lemon first and then match it with the oil. A few shakes of greek seasoning, parsley, salt.
Top with crumbled feta cheese.

edit because I see squash is not a favorite and I had another idea:
green beans - I love them with dill and onion. Seriously, dill and green beans are fantastic together.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Pizza. I made the dough with the MEN artisan bread recipe and ww flour a couple weeks ago, and will top it with lots and lots of sauce made mostly from our garden. Then goat mozzarella, and....um....gotta go see what is in the house. Maybe a bit of homemade sausage and some grass-fed ground beef, both that were cooked, crumbled, and frozen for convenience. Sometimes I cook some chopped spinach and layer that underneath the cheese. It works best if I throw on a bit more herbs, since it dilutes the taste of the sauce a bit.

Think that is how I'll make it! More veggies!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Pizza. I made the dough with the MEN artisan bread recipe and ww flour a couple weeks ago, and will top it with lots and lots of sauce made mostly from our garden. Then goat mozzarella, and....um....gotta go see what is in the house. Maybe a bit of homemade sausage and some grass-fed ground beef, both that were cooked, crumbled, and frozen for convenience. Sometimes I cook some chopped spinach and layer that underneath the cheese. It works best if I throw on a bit more herbs, since it dilutes the taste of the sauce a bit.

Think that is how I'll make it! More veggies!
I thought of you last night when I was making my pizza. You were sitting on my shoulder saying 'Really? Is that all the veggies you are putting on your pizza Dace? I think you can squeeze in more!'....which I promptly did :lol: