What's for dinner tonight?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Grass fed London broil and salad from garden (for the most part). Homemade bleu cheese dressing.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a chicken thawed, but it is supposed to go up to 90 today, and I am already not wanting to use the air, let alone heat up the house with the oven, so I'm not sure how I'm going to cook it.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have a chicken thawed, but it is supposed to go up to 90 today, and I am already not wanting to use the air, let alone heat up the house with the oven, so I'm not sure how I'm going to cook it.
You could cook a beer can chicken on the BBQ?

Slow cooker chicken is AWESOME, it tastes exactly like rotiserrie chickens from the grocery store:

(instead of the spice mix, I used a homemade Montreal Chicken Spice mix that I already had in the cupboard... also check chicken... mine took 4.5 hours to cook)

Ingredients
1 (4-5 lbs) whole chicken
Rub Ingredients:

1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Materials
Aluminum foil rolled into 7 or 8 one inch balls
Directions
1. Roll aluminum foil into balls and add to bottom of your crockpot.

2. Rinse and pat dry whole chicken, then rub dry ingredients all over the chicken, be sure to rub some inside the cavity as well.

3. Set chicken on top of foil balls and set slow cooker to high and cook for 8 hours or until chicken reaches 180 F.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I missed that--up top, she said hers took 4.5 hours.

Well it's too late to start that, so I either roast it in the oven or save it for tomorrow. It's actually only 80 in the house today--90 outside. (no air conditioning- yay!)I might do it in the oven.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, now I'm confused too. :/ I am chomping at the bit to do this! It sounds so good and so easy!

Well, I'm slow cooking some yummy brown rice with sliced garlic and onions. I'm going to make a stir fry with it full of shrimp, veggies and Mrs. Brags. It smells fantastic!!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last night I didn't want much, so I just ate asparagus raw, plain. I'd never eaten it before, but it came in my produce bin, so I had to. It's yummy.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
oven roasted ribs, left over grilled chicken for the picky kids, sauted lemon green beans, roasted cauliflower, twice baked pots for the kids....and GF vanilla cupcakes with home made choc frosting for the kiddos.

Woot!