Whats for Dinner?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I've gotten so many great dinner ideas from this thread and now that we are full swing into summer, I'm looking for more!
Tonight I brought home a pizza. Someone please inspire me with what you made for dinner!
We made pizza.

I have a little tip for everyone which has been a lifesaver for us. I make 2 batches of pizza dough. I roll each batch into a short fat log and cut it into 8 pieces for individual pizzas, then roll then out and pop each one into the oven at 400 for a few minutes to cook it.

Then when they all cool I split the batch in two, one gallon bag of crusts goes into the freezer and 1 gal bag into the fridges. I also make my sauce using 2 -28 oz cans (1 crushed toms and 1 sauce, garlic and an 8oz can of paste & herbs) I also split that in half...1 in the freezer and one in the fridge. I buy a large thing of mozzarella from costco, shred it in the food processor and bag up for the fridge & freezer.

Crazy night when we are all looking for something quick, we ALWAYS have pizza fixings in the fridge. Super quick and easy and no take out expense.

Edited to add...I had planned to make chicken pot pie for dinner last night but never got to it, so that will be on tonight's menu.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread Morel Cabin stated that they were having Raclette. I am so excited about fermenting vegetables to use for this. In January I tried a conventional Raclette meal which totally rocked and I thought that it would be fantastic with pickled stuff from the garden. Then I learned other methods of fermentation on this site which seem more suited to the Raclette. I will be using Gruyere cheese because I am having enormous problems finding Raclette cheese.
OK, it's not for dinner tonight because I am in the process of fermenting produce, but soon!
:drool

Zucchini isn't large enough for SKR8PN's meal tonight, deer heart is not in my freezer: I'm thinking BLTs with the Italian green beans that are just ready to pick.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday I was baking bread so while working in the kitchen I did a pot of bean soup. Simple pantry fare with a ham steak from the freezer thrown in at the last minute. Served with slices of home baked bread.

I have a busy day ahead with chores and taking the kids to the dentist. So I threw a chuck roast into the crock pot. In between the dentist and archery class I will add all the goodies into the pot. Carrots, and onions from the garden. Potatoes, cellery all the usual stuff.

Yesterday dd and I made two loaves of home made bread and the hamburger bun recipe running around here. I actually shaped the buns into a hoagie shape for dh lunches.

Add some salad with fresh tom, peppers etc from the garden and maybe a sliced cantaloupe to top it off.

First year for cantaloupe. I was very surprised they were small but tasty. :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have kielbasa from a local farm. I think I will grill it tonight. I'm headed to the farm store for corn and salad greens. I've got bread rising. That should cover tonight! :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Decided to try something from both my dehydrated stock and my jars. Added to fresh meat.

Rehydrated 1/2 cup of dehydrated broccoli and a tablespoon of both dehydrated onion and red bell pepper in hot chicken stock.

Cooked a cup of brown rice, using the chicken stock as well.

Cubed a flattened chicken breast and added it ten minutes before the rice was done, as well as the veggies.

Added a jar of cream of broccoli soup and two cups of milk. Salt and pepper to taste. After one bite, I immediately took a container of it to my parents for their dinner. And my dad, who recently decided he will never eat broccoli again, had seconds. Pretty sure they don't think I am as wacky now.

All but the fresh chicken was from my storage. Am a really, really happy camper. This new "hobby" is awesome.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Venison ring bologna, boiled new baby potatoes with butter and parsley, cabbage, garlic and onion stir-fried, steamed broccoli with ginger-garlic sauce and vanilla ice cream (storebought) with fresh blackberries.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
When I was in Bible school in Tulsa (no, not Oral Roberts), a friend invited a few of us "Home to Alabama" for Thanksgiving. Having been in a reclaimed desert my entire life, I wasn't really sure what I was going to see.

On our way through Missouri, it snowed. Except, as I noticed aloud, it didn't seem to be snowing on the cows. I can't believe they didn't kick me out of the car.

As we got closer to Alabama, we all started talking about the South and how it compared with the West. It got funny.

Then the driver hit the brakes and made a U turn. He got out of the car and picked up a dead possum and threw it in the trunk. Told us that mama wanted him to bring home something nice for Thanksgiving dinner.

I sat there like a deer in the headlights the whole way to Millbrook, Alabama.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
:lol: What did you end up eating? Thats too funny! I have never had possum. But when DD was 17, a girlfriend of hers had a cousin from Alabama visiting her. They had a raccoon in the attic so the girls cousin went up stairs and shot it. Then he proceeded to BBQ it for supper! My DD said "I"ll be right back!" and ran back home grabbed tortillas and salsa out of the fridge and told me she "would bring me back a plate of BBQ". And darn if it did not taste like fajitas! :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, I have to say that it was one of the most memorable Thanksgivings of my loooooong life. My friend's mom worked at a bank. On Wednesday, she got off at noon, went shopping, and in 24 hours she had cooked enough foor to completely cover two banquet tables, which they set up end to end in their living room/den combo. They had dozens of people come buy all day long just to have a snack and watch football. It was the day of the Alamaba/Auburn game and the dad was a Bama fan. Seems everyone else in Millbrook was for Auburn. Auburn won, and within 15 minutes of the final gun, the whole front yard was a sea of Auburn signs.

And she made a turkey. A ham. And a roast. Pot pies. Seven dessert pies. Greens mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes. Had cheese grits for the first time. I just can't even tell you how much food there was. I am sure there were 30 serving containers, if not more.

Now I am hungry.