Whats for Dinner?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Dace said:
I guess I understand yeast ;) for the life of me I can not get a biscuit to turn out nice. I use cold butter/lard and minimize handling, but for some reason they are ALWAYS hockey pucks.
Dace,

How long do you knead them? I fold mine over no more than 6 times, pretty gently, too.

Also, if you put them on the baking sheet so they are touching, they will "puff up" better.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
punkin said:
Dace said:
I guess I understand yeast ;) for the life of me I can not get a biscuit to turn out nice. I use cold butter/lard and minimize handling, but for some reason they are ALWAYS hockey pucks.
Dace,

How long do you knead them? I fold mine over no more than 6 times, pretty gently, too.

Also, if you put them on the baking sheet so they are touching, they will "puff up" better.
I really don't knead them....I cut in the fat, add the liquid and mix a little using a rubber spatula, stick in the fridge for half hour, dump out onto a floured surface....smoosh it all together, press down lightly then turn the rolling pin on it .....cut and place on cookie sheet and bake = Hockey pucks.
I have tried fresh baking powder (or is it soda? whatever ) bisquick, bread flour, all purp flour, butter, crisco & butter flavored crisco....everything turns out hockey pucks. Perhaps someone can identify where I am going wrong as it is obviously ME.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace said:
You know maybe it's not you. Maybe its the oven. Are they over cooking?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I don't think so., everything else that I bake turns out fine.
Often times they do not even really rise :( I think that is part of my problem. I think the root of my problem is in the mixing/rolling. Just not sure how or what to do differently.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you cut the fat in really well? That is an important step. I measure my dry ingredients, cut in the fat (I use crisco), then make a well in the middle, pour in my milk and stir it together. I make mine in a round 9'' pan so I don't roll and cut them. I just separate my dough into halves until I have 8 pieces (it makes pretty big biscuits), and them lightly form them into flattened balls and place them touching each other in my pan.

What recipe do you use? Maybe you need a different one...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Dace said:
I don't think so., everything else that I bake turns out fine.
Often times they do not even really rise :( I think that is part of my problem. I think the root of my problem is in the mixing/rolling. Just not sure how or what to do differently.
How flat do you roll them out? Maybe you are doing them too thin. Mine are usually about 3/4 of an inch thick.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Potterwatch & Punkin....I do cut in the fat pretty well, but maybe I am rolling them too thin. I have tried multiple recipes so I am sure the flaw is in my method, not the recipe.

I will give it another try using all of your advice, I like the no roll method...that might just do the trick!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What's for dinner today? I'm making meatloaf (from ground venison), scalloped potatoes, and home picked frozen corn.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow I love scalloped taters! :) YUMMY

yesterday was 2 lasagnas made...one eaten mostly and one for the freezer........so tonight is something simple

NY strips on the grill
baked sweet potatoe for Tony
giant salad for me
green beans
crispy bread

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Last night I was lazy...roasted chicken and baked potatoes...didn't even bother with a veg....and homemade rolls.

Tonight will probably be be chicken tacos & quesadillas so that I can use up the leftover chicken.