Whats for Dinner?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Omelets. I forgot to bring eggs to church to sell on Sunday so I've got 5 dozen in the fridge. I think I'll western omelets and maybe some chicken sausage and home fries on the side.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Meat loaf, cabbage and hoe cakes (cornbread cooked on top of the stove kind of like pancakes, for those who don't know).

DH cooked tonight. The man loves to cook.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
2D, how do you cook your cabbage?

For supper tonight we are having cream of broccoli soup, with tuna melts.
Homemade of course :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
2D, how do you cook your cabbage?

For supper tonight we are having cream of broccoli soup, with tuna melts.
Homemade of course :)
We just fry up a couple of strips of bacon, chop up cabbage and some onions, (pretty big chunks), throw in skillet with the bacon grease, crumble up bacon, add some water, cover and simmer til tender. Oh yeah, salt, pepper, stuff too.

DH and I are both kind of whatever cooks. Recipes are more or less guidelines only - we never cook any thing the same twice since we can never remember exactly what it is we did the time before. Just throw it in the pan - it will be good.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Lol, that's how I cook. I actually follow a recipe for very few things. Cabbage, other than coleslaw and cabbage rolls/casserole was not served when I was a kid, so I don't know alot of different ways to cook it, but I have one in my fridge that I need to use. I think I will experiment with it. Thanks!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
meatloaf, been in the crockpot all afternoon, my awesome baked corn and mashed potatoes.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We had chicken parmesan. DS threw a tantrum b/c I put spaghetti sauce on his chicken. Puh-lease.... the kid's 12--shouldn't he be over tantrums yet????

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
We had chicken parmesan. DS threw a tantrum b/c I put spaghetti sauce on his chicken. Puh-lease.... the kid's 12--shouldn't he be over tantrums yet????
my son had a dish at Ruby Tuesday like chicken parm but different, Ive adapted it for at home. you put a little sauce on the plate, then noodles (penne works well) then chicken (Ive even used chicken nuggets) then I make a parmesan cream sauce and put on top. Its soooo good. I made it twice last week :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Barley casserole with freshly made bread.

DH is working till 9 tonight, so that casserole is great because it can sit in the oven. We're down to 4 slices of bread today, so I'm off now to start making bread.

Barley Casserole

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
2 onions, peeled & chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped
2 pounds leeks, cleaned well & chopped into 1" lengths
1/2 pound carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups pearl barley
3 cups stock or water
salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Lightly saute veggies in butter or oil. Add barley, stock or water and potatoes. Cook until potatoes and barley are done and moisture absorbed. Add fresh parsley for last 10 minutes. If using dried parsley, may be added with potatoes. Serves 4.