What's for dinner?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate you all. I have a colonoscopy Tuesday so food type restrictions started today. Monday will be purgatory.

I really want a salad right now.
UGH! I'd be planning my celebratory meal for when the procedure is over! You deserve whatever you want after that.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Made some beef stew yesterday to use up last of a London broil. Today I have a pkg of chicken breast that DS handed me yesterday to cook. Not planned but, will make it work. Something oven -- warm the house! Guess I'll get beans going with the ham broth and crock pot, as well, for tomorrow. Get all that used. Problem? Yep. No freezer space this week for a lot of container meals.

Also, need to process about 20# of elderberries I had to remove from freezer yesterday....to fit the shopping trip stuff in. :thGuess I'll take this big turkey and a ham to DDs freezer, giving room here. Usually a lot of room there! She's a true minimalist!!! I am NOT buying another freezer!!! Thaw and can before that. :old

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay we have a few meals ahead of us planned with killing a few roosters and then DH killed two rabbits today. Really had to come to the orchard to harvest and there is a raccoon in the trap. I was just talking about changing up the cooking with raccoon and maybe grinding it up and making burgers or sausage now that beef is so expensive. But pretty soon we will have coon on the menu. I would just like to change from the usual. Maybe chili or sloppy joe. Anyone tried any of these dishes with coon?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Okay we have a few meals ahead of us planned with killing a few roosters and then DH killed two rabbits today. Really had to come to the orchard to harvest and there is a raccoon in the trap. I was just talking about changing up the cooking with raccoon and maybe grinding it up and making burgers or sausage now that beef is so expensive. But pretty soon we will have coon on the menu. I would just like to change from the usual. Maybe chili or sloppy joe. Anyone tried any of these dishes with coon?
I've never had coon. What is it like?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay we have a few meals ahead of us planned with killing a few roosters and then DH killed two rabbits today. Really had to come to the orchard to harvest and there is a raccoon in the trap. I was just talking about changing up the cooking with raccoon and maybe grinding it up and making burgers or sausage now that beef is so expensive. But pretty soon we will have coon on the menu. I would just like to change from the usual. Maybe chili or sloppy joe. Anyone tried any of these dishes with coon
I've never had coon. What is it like?
its really gamey. I like to soak it I beer at least 4 days before cooking. If it’s a swamp coon even longer. Like I would soak in beer 4 days and change out the beer for another soaking. I think eating fish and crabs makes them even more wild. It’s a fatty meat so you have to take that into consideration when you cook it. I have prepared it several ways. I like to roll out biscuits or bread dough and put a TBLS of meat with a bit of mozzarella cheese, wrap it up. Butter with parsley flakes and garlic and bake. Of course meat already cooked.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

not us, we've never eaten a raccoon here, i would do it if i were starving, but until then, no... we have a pretty reliable supply though based upon my past trapping of them (and relocating). i don't trap them any more - it was a big waste of time and effort to move them. we don't grow sweet corn and they don't do much damage to things here so now i just let them do what they want.