What's for dinner?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to our DD's house for supper. Our son in law is a great cook. He did a standing rib roast to perfection! :drool (we buy-he cooks :lol: ) And he cooked potatoes, made a salad and frozen dinner rolls. I took two pumpkin pies. Our 2 year old grand daughter Face-timed me asking about pumpkin pie. I assured her they were in the oven and I would bring her pumpkin pie!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The first time I read that I ignored the comma...hmmmm...fajitas with vanilla ice cream, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi

I'm one of those people who doesn't use a lot of recipes but this one is very similar to how I make my Broccoli Cheese Soup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13045/broccoli-cheese-soup/

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I use the "processed cheese block" also known as Velveeta in our part of the world), but it's what makes this soup so smooth and velvety. What the heck - ya gotta indulge sometimes, lol.

Things I do differently: I saute fresh garlic with the onion instead of garlic powder. And, I usually add about a half chunk of cream cheese with the Velveeta cheese.

I use a hand blender to puree the soup so that the broccoli is in tiny pieces...easier for the old folks to eat that way. When I make it for ourselves and grandkids I still puree it, but leave some larger pieces.

I also don't like it real thick - so I just thicken it to our preference.

Pretty tasty stuff!

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you are worried about what goes in the commercial Velveeta, here's a recipe:
Homemade Velveeta Cheese

1 1/2 pounds grated Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups very hot water, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon instant dry milk
1/2 envelope unflavored gelatine (1 1/2 teaspoons)

In blender, put 3/4 cup of the water, 3 tablespoons of the milk and 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatine, and whip until gelatine is dissolved. Quickly add to the hot mixture 1/2 pound of the Cheddar cheese. Whip until blended. Pour into an 8 x 4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan that has been lined with plastic wrap. Repeat this twice, until all remaining ingredients are used. Cover pan with more plastic wrap and chill overnight before unmolding. Keep cold and slice as needed.

Yields 2 pounds.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried a recipe yesterday for a low carb clam chowder, but it had so much bacon in it that you couldn't taste the clams! I love bacon, but NOT when it overpowers the reason for the chowder. We're finishing it off tonight because I don't want it hanging around and going bad. I'll give it one more try, with half the bacon; if that still doesn't taste good, the recipe is getting trashed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight was chuck roast, rice and gravy, fried okra and salad.

Latest posts