1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. American wheat beer - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What's for dinner?

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by Hinotori, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mar 8, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

How you could refrain from eating until you took all those pictures is beyond me....

2. Mar 9, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Tonight's supper was salmon fillets cooked in a skillet in ghee with lemon juice. Steamed broccoli, sautéed green beans with garlic and crumbled bacon. Such a healthy meal and I am craving microwave brownie in a cup.

Farmer Connie and Hinotori like this.
  3. Mar 9, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Yum!
    Homemade hash here. Ok - it's leftovers that I'm repurposing....

Farmer Connie likes this.
  4. Mar 9, 2018
    baymule

I don't think I'd use the term repurposing when it comes to food. Repurposing.....food.....sounds too much like digging through a garbage can. :lol:

5. Mar 9, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

Nooooo - that's dumpster diving, lol. I repurpose food alllllll the time, lol!

Farmer Connie and baymule like this.
  6. Mar 10, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

To me, repurposing food is using mayonnaise as a hot oil treatment for your hair, or something like that.

Farmer Connie and baymule like this.
  7. Mar 10, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

That's a good point, lol!

Farmer Connie likes this.
  8. Mar 10, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

AND ---- "planned leftovers" :lol:

Actually, we al do this often. It's when we overcook to use it later, a 2fer, or just wanted to cook up what was there & it was more than a meals worth. Surely we have all been there when the gardens are coming on --- or the eggs build up, or the milk fills even the SPARE frig! :ep

Right now, I am on the "planned leftovers" train. This is our busy season for one PT company I work for. Just came off 7 days, today I am off :celebrateand tomorrow I start a spurt of 15 days in a row!!!! Between 2 PT jobs. Will happen again about mid April and mid May.... July & Aug almost no work.

I will so use the chili, soup, BBQ, beans, etc. that I have batch cooked and frozen. Keeps me on track with decent meals.

9. Mar 11, 2018
    baymule

Planned leftovers sounds appetizing and smart, repurposed food sounds like recycling and some kind of Craigslist sale.

10. Mar 11, 2018
    Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Almost Self-Reliant

Took our recent yield out for a test drive.:weee
    1-1/2' thick stuffed berkshire cross pork chops. Over stuffed with creamy mashed potatoes/chives/garlic/cheese. Seasoned Panko breaded but browned in a saute pan prior to being egg wash glued to the chops. Homemade mac-n-jalapeno cheese w/a simple salad to complement the dish.

This homegrown pork had a low carb/high protein diet which gave the pig a much higher meat ratio w/minimal fat.
    Very impressive yield as well as a delicious treat at the end of a long day.
    DSC00017.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00012.JPG DSC00020.JPG
    :oldA pig is not just a pig. By any means. Heritage breeds yield different colors, textures,flavors, marbling..etc.
    DIET IS EVERYTHING! Feeding quality substances will result in higher quality meat. feeding scraps and garbage will alter the results of your product. (Buyer Beware)
    Spending $500 in feed for your freezer stock, will make your 1-1/2' thick-n-marbled pork chops taste like five hundred bucks as well.
    :drool
    DSC00011.JPG

Processed at at the edge of maturity (6 months). 265# @ 5.5 m/o. You don't get rich being a small pig farmer. But the perks out weigh the profits.
    When we breed, we select to 2 best picks of a litter. The chosen ones are fed from the sales of the balance. Then the next litter from another Sow's offspring finances the processing fees. DSCN6252.JPG
    Like I said, we seldom profit, although we don't starve as well. Chickens also have that program implemented.:)
    Thanks for listening to my ramblings..:hugs

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    sumi, baymule and NH Homesteader like this.