What's for dinner?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight's supper was salmon fillets cooked in a skillet in ghee with lemon juice. Steamed broccoli, sautéed green beans with garlic and crumbled bacon. Such a healthy meal and I am craving microwave brownie in a cup.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
AND ---- "planned leftovers" :lol:

Actually, we al do this often. It's when we overcook to use it later, a 2fer, or just wanted to cook up what was there & it was more than a meals worth. Surely we have all been there when the gardens are coming on --- or the eggs build up, or the milk fills even the SPARE frig! :ep

Right now, I am on the "planned leftovers" train. This is our busy season for one PT company I work for. Just came off 7 days, today I am off :celebrateand tomorrow I start a spurt of 15 days in a row!!!! Between 2 PT jobs. Will happen again about mid April and mid May.... July & Aug almost no work.

I will so use the chili, soup, BBQ, beans, etc. that I have batch cooked and frozen. Keeps me on track with decent meals.

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Took our recent yield out for a test drive.:weee
1-1/2' thick stuffed berkshire cross pork chops. Over stuffed with creamy mashed potatoes/chives/garlic/cheese. Seasoned Panko breaded but browned in a saute pan prior to being egg wash glued to the chops. Homemade mac-n-jalapeno cheese w/a simple salad to complement the dish.

This homegrown pork had a low carb/high protein diet which gave the pig a much higher meat ratio w/minimal fat.
Very impressive yield as well as a delicious treat at the end of a long day.
DSC00017.JPG
DSC00003.JPG
DSC00012.JPG
DSC00020.JPG

:oldA pig is not just a pig. By any means. Heritage breeds yield different colors, textures,flavors, marbling..etc.
DIET IS EVERYTHING! Feeding quality substances will result in higher quality meat. feeding scraps and garbage will alter the results of your product. (Buyer Beware)
Spending $500 in feed for your freezer stock, will make your 1-1/2' thick-n-marbled pork chops taste like five hundred bucks as well.
:drool
DSC00011.JPG

Processed at at the edge of maturity (6 months). 265# @ 5.5 m/o. You don't get rich being a small pig farmer. But the perks out weigh the profits.
When we breed, we select to 2 best picks of a litter. The chosen ones are fed from the sales of the balance. Then the next litter from another Sow's offspring finances the processing fees.
DSCN6252.JPG

Like I said, we seldom profit, although we don't starve as well. Chickens also have that program implemented.:)
Thanks for listening to my ramblings..:hugs

Last edited: