What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pot roast in the Instant Pot. Potatoes and carrots. Just nice and simple.

Not sure what the meat was since it was from mom and she doesn't label stuff. I think it was elk from last year. Didn't quite taste like deer to me, but I know it wasn't beef.

Wasn't a tenderloin so I figured the pressure cooking was best.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a buck whole bone in hind deer thigh in the deep freeze, I would be call it a ham that I've been wanting to cook. But according to the attached chart is called a roast and steaks. I definitely get more off my dear. They don't even do anything with the neck and head which I grind for burger. They use it for a mount.

Thinking about smoking it some then bring it in to finish off covered in the oven until medium to medium rare. I'm not much of a cook so any recipes hints tips would be most appreciated. Thanks

deermeatchart (1).jpg

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My family hunts for meat, not trophy. I know the meat processor they use grinds the neck for burger. My parents cannot butcher themselves with how their strength and hands are anymore.

Last 2 deer my uncle boned out for them. The elk are a bit big for him to have time to deal with.

I larded the roast with bacon fat before cooking. It's such lean meat

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 'go to' for any large chunk of red meat is red wine, garlic and rosemary. It tenderizes the meat and adds lots of flavor. Go easy on the rosemary if it's not one of your favorites - it's a great big flavor! Low and slow on the heat....

But, however you cook it I'll betcha it'll be mighty tasty!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Latest posts