What's for Dinner?

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Stuffed green peppers (grown in the garden, stuffed with venison meatloaf from the last of last year's deer), home-grown skillet fried potatos, home-grown creamed corn, home-grown green beans. Cornbread from scratch, home-made applesauce for dessert.
:p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
way to go plucky
self sufficient meal all the way!! :)

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks! well...I did have to buy the cornmeal, and the ingredients. But the tablespoon of honey is from our bees!;)

And the soda hubby had was NOT self-sufficient...:rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
Tony has 2 fav sodas that I couldn't pull out of his hands....dead or alive..HA HA

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
plucky said:
Stuffed green peppers (grown in the garden, stuffed with venison meatloaf from the last of last year's deer), home-grown skillet fried potatos, home-grown creamed corn, home-grown green beans. Cornbread from scratch, home-made applesauce for dessert.
:p
Very impressive! Way to go :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Tonight is homemade split pea soup with homemade biscuits. I am looking at a couple of new recipes on Hillbilly House Wife...anyone have a tried and true recipe?

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you looking for a biscuit recipe, Dace? I've always been a fan of "angel biscuits," the classic recipe with 3 kinds of leavening. They work as drop biscuits too, even though you're supposed to roll them out. Probably better if you roll them, but drop biscuits are so good. Also, the dough keeps in the fridge for a week or so, so you can keep making them for a while if you don't need too many.

Angel Biscuits

1 package dry yeast
4 Tbsp. water, warm
1/3 cup sugar, divided
5 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/2-1 3/4 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water with 2 Tbsp. of the sugar. Set aside while mixing remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the large bowl of a food processor. Add shortening, cut into pieces, and pulse on and off, scraping as needed, to incorporate. (Without a food processor, cut shortening into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers until mixture is in fine particles.)

Add buttermilk and yeast and mix until mixture resembles yeast dough. Make biscuits or place dough in a covered bowl in refrigerator and use as needed.

To make biscuits: Roll out portions of dough on lightly floured surface until 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 2-inch biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass. Place biscuits on a greased cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for an hour. (Some cooks skip the rising step and bake the biscuits immediately.)

Bake at 425 degrees 10-15 minutes or until brown. Makes about 2 1/2 or 3 dozen biscuits.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Are you looking for a biscuit recipe, Dace? I've always been a fan of "angel biscuits," the classic recipe with 3 kinds of leavening. They work as drop biscuits too, even though you're supposed to roll them out. Probably better if you roll them, but drop biscuits are so good. Also, the dough keeps in the fridge for a week or so, so you can keep making them for a while if you don't need too many.

Angel Biscuits

1 package dry yeast
4 Tbsp. water, warm
1/3 cup sugar, divided
5 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/2-1 3/4 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water with 2 Tbsp. of the sugar. Set aside while mixing remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the large bowl of a food processor. Add shortening, cut into pieces, and pulse on and off, scraping as needed, to incorporate. (Without a food processor, cut shortening into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers until mixture is in fine particles.)

Add buttermilk and yeast and mix until mixture resembles yeast dough. Make biscuits or place dough in a covered bowl in refrigerator and use as needed.

To make biscuits: Roll out portions of dough on lightly floured surface until 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 2-inch biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass. Place biscuits on a greased cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for an hour. (Some cooks skip the rising step and bake the biscuits immediately.)

Bake at 425 degrees 10-15 minutes or until brown. Makes about 2 1/2 or 3 dozen biscuits.
I'll give it a try! My biscuits (as usual) turned out like hockey pucks. I swear this is why I never make them...every time they do not turn out. I understand the basics of biscuits but I just can't make them work! ARGH!!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's why I like this recipe. Between the yeast and the baking soda and the baking powder and the buttermilk... there's enough rising stuff in there that SOMETHING has to make it rise.

Latest posts