What's for Dinner?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Last night we had leftover brown rice and cranberry salad. I had fruit for dessert, but dh had some pumpkin-cinnamon ice cream. :D

Today is bread making day, and we're in the upper 40s and rain, so I am thinking of making beef pot pies to go into the oven after the bread comes out.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are alot warmer but same rainy weather. No sun---please sun, come out! :)

Good day for soup in a way.

I think soup and grilled cheese tonight for everyone.

I am out of the cooking mode. Not in the mood for dishes or the work to cook..LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
BLTs and leftover potato soup.

Kel, can you share more about your beef pie? Sounds yummy.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dace said:
Kel, can you share more about your beef pie? Sounds yummy.
I have 2 ways I make beef pot pies. Both start with a beef stew.

Beef Stew Pot Pie Recipe 1

Make your favorite pie crust recipe for savory pie. Make enough for each pot pie to have a bottom and top crust. Put the bottom crust into pie pans and set aside. (Do not bake.)

On a large foil-covered baking sheet, large dice some veggies (potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas). Slice or mince garlic and add to veggies. Drizzle with some olive oil and roast until *just* tender.

Toss the beef cubes (uncooked) in seasoned (pepper, salt, paprika, savory) flour. Brown them in a little oil (then put meat into a bowl and set aside)

Add broth or stock to the cooked beef/flour bits left in the pan, warm it up and deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom well to get the bits.

Add some canned or frozen green beans and/or English peas.

Mix together the beef and veggies in the gravy. Add the beans and peas. Divide evenly between the pie pans.

Cover with the top crust. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Beef Stew Pot Pie Recipe 2

Brown the beef stew in a Dutch oven, add the broth or stock, the veggies. Bake in 350 oven until veggies are done.

While stew is cooking, make

Garlic Cobbler Topping
2 c all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 well-beaten egg
1/4 c melted butter
2/3 c buttermilk, milk, or cream
1 to 4 tsp fresh rosemary or basil or parsley or thyme
1 tsp curry powder, optional

Combine in large bowl, stirring until soft dough is formed. Drops spoonfuls on top of stew. Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.

This topping can also be made as Garlic Dumplings by dropping spoonfuls of the dough into boiling stew or soup on top of the stove. Cover and cook for 15 minutes without removing the cover until time is up.

edited for typos

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Shepherds pie tonight. I'm making a chicken stew with carrots, onions, green beans, spinach & tomatoes, topping is garlic 'taters.

Make your favorite stew type recipe (Like the ones above from kel, which is why I decided to make this tonight :D ), place hot stew in a lightly oiled baking dish & top with leftover (or made just for this) mashed potatoes. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese or fried onions. Bake until cheese is melted & taters are bubbly around the edges.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh....yummy. Ya know a nice beef burgandy with some smashed taters on top sounds pretty yummy for a chilly night.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ummm, I'm just going to hire Keljonma to cook for me. :drool

So, when is that cookbook coming out, Kel? :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Ummm, I'm just going to hire Keljonma to cook for me. :drool

So, when is that cookbook coming out, Kel? :D
:gig I *am* looking for employment. I'm sure we could work something out! :lol:

I am making Beef Stew Recipe #2 today with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic. I might add a can of drained peas to it , before I top it with Garlic Cobbler Topping.

The stew is getting ready to come out of the oven, so the bread I am making can bake. The stew will go back into the oven with the topping on it. :drool