what's next?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had wondered if it was wise to get some cash out. I use my debit card so frequently now. Card seems more hygienic, but cash seems more practical in uncertain times. I want to order a few things online so gotta leave some in there!

Starting to wonder if I can barter some of my animals or goods for wood or eggs down the line.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bean counting might become a cool thing again after all... :) :) :)

this is from my new setup yesterday. more work to go yet, but getting there. :)

DSC_20200318_140818-0400_185_Getting_There_thm.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Daisy barter for some chickens.

Keeping cash on hand is always a good idea. Smaller bills, as not everyone can give change for a $100. Banks report you to the Federal Government for withdrawals over $5000 of YOUR money. As we all know, if we have cash, that makes us drug dealers and terrorists. the money in your account is not yours anyway, it belongs to the bank and they can take YOUR money to pay off THEIR debts. The government can scalp your stock accounts, 401K etc for their own nefarious reasons. Grrrrr…...

Beans, taters and corn is a good idea. @Chic Rustler are you still planting those green beans I sent you seed for? Do youu have plenty of corn seed and do you have any cornmeal type seeds? Got a grain mill?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have two old hens who aren't laying (although I think ONE should be! The other is super old so she gets a pass) and 12 pekin ducks. I have to sex and separate the ducklings very shortly. They arent laying yet.

Thanks for the reminder to plant beans! Its almost the perfect time to plant them here now :D If only the lazy bloody ducks would do their job and eat all the snails...

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Daisy barter for some chickens.

Keeping cash on hand is always a good idea. Smaller bills, as not everyone can give change for a $100. Banks report you to the Federal Government for withdrawals over $5000 of YOUR money. As we all know, if we have cash, that makes us drug dealers and terrorists. the money in your account is not yours anyway, it belongs to the bank and they can take YOUR money to pay off THEIR debts. The government can scalp your stock accounts, 401K etc for their own nefarious reasons. Grrrrr…...

Beans, taters and corn is a good idea. @Chic Rustler are you still planting those green beans I sent you seed for? Do youu have plenty of corn seed and do you have any cornmeal type seeds? Got a grain mill?

yes I have the seeds I saved from those green beans. gave a few to a friend near by as well. no I haven't planted dent corn and I dont own a mill. I have access to free wheat so I need a mill

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yes I have the seeds I saved from those green beans. gave a few to a friend near by as well. no I haven't planted dent corn and I dont own a mill. I have access to free wheat so I need a mill
This is the one I got.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am not extremely concerned about what will happen, for myself. It could certainly become a deep recession easily, should this "shutdown" continue another month plus. One of my jobs is way down with work, other is stable. I can cover my basic needs/bills with other income than working but, it would be a no extras life -- like don't die truck, LOL. My needs are met though. Food sure isn't an issue. I'm ok with knowing I can survive this for several months if needed. Being out, in stores working, I can see some of the issues that are happening. The "shopper created" issues are bad. Fortunately those don't get to me as I'm well stocked. I can calmly say "sorry, not in stock" to shoppers without concern.

Should my other job slow, I'm ok with more time at home. I can generate some income from the farm if needed. Even producing animal feed is "income producing" if only to cut your own expense. We need to re-consider these aspects as we hunker down. A good time to review some of the frugal tips we've previously posted -- and use them!:old

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
like don't die truck, LOL

Right there with ya on that one! (Except replace "truck" with "wagon" LOL). Im fine as long as the car keeps running and the internet stays on!

I must sort through my seeds and start planting next week. This rain is awesome and the ducks are being good fertilisers, although they prefer to laze around the pond instead of bug hunting.

With the local general store shutting down today, for good, I am unsure where I will get my gas for hot water now. They used to deliver. I am slightly worried about that as I can't transport the large bottles. I do have enough to get me through winter (until September) so I guess I cross that bridge when I get to it.

The sky was glowing red on my drive home last night. It was really eerie with all the clouds at different heights. Realised it was a blazing bushfire about 30kms from my home reflecting on the clouds. Really cool to look at though!