What's your luxury purchase?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
First thing I thought of was coffee. But I would have to include chocolate and microbrew too. Especially in the fall, I am a sucker for the winter ales.

Other than food, this summer I spent a lot of extra money on interior house paint (we moved last year) and material/hardware to make curtains. I've been living without a bedroom curtain for over a year and that window looks directly out on the street. :p

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have so many areas I could and should cut back if I really needed to. My splurges are really my animals, I spend A LOT on food and them in general.
My next major purchase is a Zojirushi bread maker. I only buy what I really research and take months of still really wanting it. I have wanted a good breadmaker for a couple of years now.
I wish there were more regular shaped loaf breadmakers on the market, I can't get over the upright for some reason. LOL Not that is taste any different :rolleyes:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
2 magazine subscriptions- Better Homes and Gardens and Equus.
I have always been addicted to looking at other people's homes- now that I live out in the country, there's little chance of that so I get my fix from BHG. ;)
Re: the zorjirushi bread maker - had one for years and I agree it is the best out there.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
2 magazine subscriptions- Better Homes and Gardens and Equus.
I have always been addicted to looking at other people's homes- now that I live out in the country, there's little chance of that so I get my fix from BHG. ;)
Re: the zorjirushi bread maker - had one for years and I agree it is the best out there.
My biggest concern is altitude, I am at 5000 ft and am wondering how that will affect its performance? Did you get the smaller or bigger model? I am leaning towards the smaller because I am not sure our family would eat through the 2lb loaves without waste.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The altitude thing I can't say as I was about 14 feet above sea level then. :rolleyes: But I got the big one. It was so much more versatile than any other one I ever saw. I used it for a lot of different things.

It died in a move where it was in storage for quite awhile- I got another one but by then I was on my own and seem to stop making bread so I gave the new one to someone who would use it. Stupid stupid stupid.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a really fancy breadmaker, but I LOVE mine! DH gave it to me for Xmas last year, and I don't know how I ever lived without it. I don't understand why there are always so many on Craigslist; it's sooooo easy to make bread with one! And I love the fact that when I make it, I know EXACTLY what's in it. :p (That's supposed to be me licking my lips.)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Really good imported aged stinky cheeses!
Full of fat, full of flavor - makes my mouth water right now!
Cheese. mmmmmm close second to chocolate as the best food in the world IMO.
I'd love to be making my own goat cheese one of these days. My new splurge may be the goat farm I found not too far from here that has homemade goat cheese for sale. Once in a great while I buy a small piece of locally grown cheese from our food co-op. Incredibly expensive though.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
unclejoe said:
WOW! I feel like the high roller here. Every Fri night we go to a little out of the way chinese place where they have a seafood buffet. She has her crab legs, which I find to be WAY too much like work, and I get my baked salmon which she finds WAY to "fishy" smelling. $10 each.
That right there is a BARGAIN.
Got home from there about an hour ago. It's about 20 mi away. We stumbled across it a year or so ago when we went to Harbor Freight to look at hand pumps for the well. I think we've only missed our Fri night "date" 2-3 times since then. :love

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My luxury purchases are totally selfish - I will not let go of my every seven weeks hair cut (with foil frosts four times a year) nor my monthly pedicure. I spent way too many years being totally devoted to a husband who turned out to be a total dud - doing what he wanted, making sure his needs were met - no more of that. Poor Greg had to get used to having a bit of a princess but he doesn't seem to mind :) I do have to put my best face (and foot!) forward being in the business I'm in, my clients are mostly fairly wealthy women, my age or older, and we're all doing what it takes to keep ourselves healthy and for some, doing what it takes to be youthful. I play along as best I can, and enjoy the pedicures along the way! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it ain't playing along that I see it....LOL....I think looking good the best you can, feeling great thru exercise and mind and body is huge!

I know alot of women come off as "selfish" but it isn't to me. Being healthy takes work, being happy with your hair and looks takes work, and to me these things should be OK in life ya know. Not put down in any way. If I am my best to my personal choice, then I can move forward and be my best to others.

Don't say the princess thing. Cause to me it is you doing the best for you, (which is fine and what you want) and then the better you feel, you can move that self confidence to others.

And your job, keeping you and others in shape is more than admirable in my book. It is needed, cause women forget about themselves!!!! We need others like you to remind us that we are needing to do this "for us" and that doesn't seem selfish in any way to me.

You go girl! -LOL

it took me a long time to understand that "doing" for me is not selfish! It is needed to do more for others also. LOL--can ya tell I feel strong about this..HA HA

So "selfish" with a purpose, yes

hope all that made sense..LOL