What's your luxury purchase?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My splurges would all consist of antique furniture that I get an auction or estate sales.
I can get some stuff ridiculously cheap and then other stuff I spend more than I really hoped I would have to in order to get it, but it all balances out in the end.
Besides the furniture we get, we also buy salvaged architectural pieces that are just amazing and I incorporate them into my home improvement projects.
Since this is a hobby of my husband's too it works out great.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh you should see some of the stuff I have gotten or seen.
My house was built in 1768 so I try to get things all from as far back as I can and have some things made from salvaged materials for the rest.
My dining room table was made from an old barn that was torn down.
I have some real primitive pieces as well, most of my stuff is circa 1800.
Living in New England you can get some real nice old stuff.
I like my antiques to be functional though, not just something to look at.
Although I do have a collection of redware pottery that I don't use, everything else is functional.
I love spending an afternoon scrounging around the old antique stores, the real ones, that are piled to the rafters with stuff, not the fancy consignment shops.
There is a weekly auction where I live and its like our night out, everyone knows everyone there and I can always get something really cool.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The internet.... the company that services this area only has DSL.
Courvoisier
Some wines
Good chocolate
Vanilla beans and/or vanilla bean paste

By the way, poppycat, when I worked at a cooking school, I learned that if a recipe calls for vanilla extract, you should only use half the amount called for if using vanilla bean paste. So really it IS economical. ;)

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to single out a luxury purchase for my family any more, because we have gotten to the point, in my opinion, that we have started taking the simple things for granted in my family. I lived day to day for years, sometimes taking my son to a soup kitchen for a meal to keep him from being hungry? There was no place in my life for such a thing as pride. I had to survive. I raised him alone, my parents were a great help, but I would not depend on them alone.

Now, years later, with another family and lifestyle, its strange that I can look back, almost longingly, and wish for a simpler, less chaotic way of life? I work 40 hours a week, borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, trying to keep up with everything, but never quite getting there. Sure, I get coffee, and tea, I pack great lunches for my kids, we eat dinner in town quite often, I can have most things I want, and we spend alot of money having fun on the weekends.
I can sew, I raise chickens, and garden, and look for ways to make the most of my property. I have some fruit trees, and do some preserving, and just really appreciate being here! So I cant identify ONE luxury purchase, we're spoiled brats!
For me alone, having my lunch, Mexican Food, four days a week in town is my biggest luxury purchase (we live 14 miles from town, where we work/go to school/shop/etc).
Tina/tfpets

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its strange that I can look back, almost longingly, and wish for a simpler, less chaotic way of life?

****I know how you feel. When I had less I was happier in a way! go figurre? more means more money to pay for the problems, prices etc...ugh! more money means work harder, less time to live life. ugh.....!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't posted on his thread, honestly b/c I am still thinking about it. When we had less, we were happy. Now, we are happy. There were different issues for different times. When we had less, we wanted more. Now we have more, and I want less. Both situations-we were happy.

My husband has a great job, it allows me to stay home. We don't ever have to worry about job security. People look at us and think we are well off, but in all actuality-- in this day and age--the more you have--the more you pay. I could do with less, then less worry about bills. Don't get me wrong--I love our home, our little piece of earth,, so I guess our luxury purchase is our house.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Guns, ammo, alcohol, food, we like to eat well, DH says internet, I say no. We have no t.v or radio or newspaper so the only way I get news is the internet, it is the only way I communicate with some of my family and friends.

We used to buy good wine, now we buy the boxed wine. It actually has gotten very good and lasts a lot longer.

Other than that we don't splurge much.

Monica

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My splurge.. is internet, but its also a necessity since im in school and live 20 mins from campus. Or my girls night... I always spend more than I normally would if I wasn't with them..

Latest posts