WHO has converted to CFLs??

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
We have been using mostly CFLs for a while now.

But I use an incadescent grow light bulb in my reading lamp.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but just make sure that if you break one that you follow the safety proceedure for clean up and disposal, especially -- leave the room and open doors & windows for at least 15 min before cleaning up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You go QA
you will drop that $50 electric bill down to $30 if you use CFLs! Go for it!

j.luetkemeyer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I haven not yet converted because everytime I go to someone's house that use them I get a headache from the type of light they put off. I haven't had time to do any research to see if there are long term health concerns using this light or not. Has anybody done any research on health concerns?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
j.luetkemeyer said:
I haven not yet converted because everytime I go to someone's house that use them I get a headache from the type of light they put off. I haven't had time to do any research to see if there are long term health concerns using this light or not. Has anybody done any research on health concerns?
Come to my house. I used to feel the same way about fluorescents, but the CFLs we have here give off just plain light, doesn't bother me a bit. They did drop my electric bill about one third, I absolutely love them now.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You can buy CFL's now that emit many different colors of light. The one I am using right now is a nice soft golden glow similar to candlelight but much brighter.

I really love them - PLUS you have to change the bulb so SELDOM compared with incandescent.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They are not saving me anything. They are burning out faster than incandescents. The lights on the walkway I replace once a month.

Some of the yellowish glow GE type do give me migraines.

No recycling system here. They just crush them and throw into the landfill.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
xineohpoel said:
They are not saving me anything. They are burning out faster than incandescents. The lights on the walkway I replace once a month.

Some of the yellowish glow GE type do give me migraines.

No recycling system here. They just crush them and throw into the landfill.
Are you using interior bulbs outside? Are the fixtures weathertight or are they worn and leaky?

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm guessing so maybe they just say CFL. They are in outside lamposts protected. The lamposts are nearly brand new and have glass coverings. The ones in my basement just burned out. 35-50 a month in bulbs is killing their savings potential. My parents have the same problems and switched back to incandescents because they are burning out much sooner than their specified times.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would take them back or contact the manufacturer to let them know what is going on. Last yr when we were finishing our new house when we bought a ceiling fan we got cfl's for them along with the bathrm lights too. WEll a few did not work right off the bat or went out quickly so we took them back & got new ones. In fact I have a few now to go back to the store to exchange. They have been real good about exchanging them.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
CFLs outside in our climate take a long time to come up to speed, so to speak, when it's cold out. Provided they're not next to a door that opens and closes constantly they last a good long time for me. The vibrations from doors definitely seem to shorten their lives, the one next to the back door goes every couple-three months, but they're cheap, so I don't mind. CFLs I've got installed in every socket inside have lasted for years, so far, at least five or six, and I'm very pleased with them.