Wifezilla's Rampage - Weekend Update w/ pics

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, we can do a canning class here. Give the boys some play money and tell them to go away for a while :D

And yes, that is duckweed and that is probably what you see when you see those totally green ponds. That stuff is very high in protein. Off the top of my head, I think it is up to 18%. I read a study a while ago that you can use duckweed to replace up to 40% of a ducks feed and still keep them healthy. Higher than that and they start dying off. No doubt some nutrients missing that they need to get from other sources...but as a free choice option, duckweed is awesome. I don't have nearly that much this year, but there is some floating around. I might need to try another strain from a different park to see if I can boost the numbers :D

It blows my mind that people are paying big money to kill this stuff. All you need is to invite a few web footed friends over for lunch!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hoorah!!!!!!

I'm going to freeze a couple bags of cherries this week, since they're on sale, and I have my pitter. And start a nice big batch of saurkraut since cabbage is so cheap.

The carrots are still going so the cabbage can be started this weekend.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I saw me :D hehehe.

I AM awesome sauce. Who noticed?

I love that vampire dress. It's so perky goth.

Naughty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
LOL

I have two dogs and it is one of DD chores to feed them. She fell behind and their bowl was empty. Lady, my beagle, walked over to it, sniffed it, looked at it and then turned her eyes to me. I could have sworn she was saying something along the lines of "Are you kidding me? What's going on here?"

Glad you started a journal.
My cats have been taught that the kid feeds them - not me - so if they want to wake up way too early to eat - they bug the kid and get her up

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Here is a link to some recent pond photos. This should last you until I can get some pic posted here....
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2272247971207.137690.1398880757&l=78322ff164

There is also one more crop i get from the pond I forgot to mention. Pond snails! Some eggs must have hitched a ride on the duckweed I stole...uhhh...errr...LIBERATED from the local pond. I saw about 5 of them munching algae on the lip of the upper pond. You can even see one in the picture with my floaty planters.

** I wish I had been smart enough to teach the cats to wake the kids up instead of me :p

Abi, Tabitha M thinks you are awesomesauce. Merle says you look sexy :D

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yet ANOTHER harvest from the pond. Apparently it is a dragon fly factory! :gig

I was scooping up some fish for the babies and almost had a heart attack when I saw something similar to this...
770397_dragonfly_lg.jpg

Dragon fly nymph! It was almost 3" long!!!!

Now the only down side is they eat baby fish as well as bugs. I guess I will have to slow down on my harvest a little bit, but I think there are enough minnows to share...especially since dragonflies eat so many bad bugs as adults.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Abi, Tabitha M thinks you are awesomesauce. Merle says you look sexy :D
They're obviously both geniuses.

:D

I love the pics!!!!

Dragonflies are awesome :)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Ed got freaked out the other night because there were dragonflies EVERYWHERE. Of course he didn't think to tell me about it until the next day So I didn't see the invasion :somad. He was wondering where the heck they were coming from. Now we know! if you sit outside at dusk you can see them zipping around munching Mosquitos. They are such cool critters.