Winter already?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's bad here, lots of cars in the ditch. I'm getting ready to go back out again and pull people out of the ditches like I did earlier.

I don't think many people know how to drive in the snow. They ride their brakes! I was 4 cars behind a brake rider and I knew it was going to happen, sure enough they approached a big hill they were not going fast enough to make it up the hill. When they tried to accelerate to climb the hill they spun and bam right into the ditch. I pulled them out, it was a easy $20.00.

Just maintain a steady slower speed with no sudden barking, acceleration or steering is the basics to driving in snow/ice. You gotta go fast enough to make it up hills, but slow enough to maintain control - it's not really all that difficult really.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The first storms every winter here everyone forgets how to drive. By March we forget what dry pavement is like! I still don't like driving in the snow, even though I'm used to it. Not fun.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ok I admit I like the first snow for maybe 5 seconds but even that is pushing it. It's snowing here right now and the snow storm is named Avey.

:thThey are naming snow storms now???? I've heard everything now.

I like snow. Always have. I like colder weather better as well.

Same here. I love winter, I love the snow and I even don't mind driving in the snow....been doing it most of my life and I find it really tests your driving skill level, which I like.

See how "fun" I am? Truck has 4 wheel drive. I won't have another truck without it.
View attachment 8924

CC, they call that a "skiff" of snow around here....where do you live again? :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we moved here from the Bay area of CA, I had never driven in snow. DH told me "Drive like you don't have any brakes." Best advice I've ever heard.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
45782374_1894460810671753_3348238388065992704_n.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I understand perfectly where you come from :) Where I lived the last few years in S.A. we had the other extreme, summer highs averaging 115-130F and no rain for months on end. So you can imagine coming here and seeing snow and all the fun to be had with that. I'm aware of the hassles of driving in the stuff, ice, black ice... In January I was in an accident when I friend of mine totalled his car after skidding on black ice. His mom followed suit with her car about 2 or 3 weeks later. I'd take all this over living right next to hell though! ;) And one thing is for sure, a snow covered landscape is much prettier than a dustbowl! For me anyway.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still snowing here in southern IL but very light now. Snow fall is really pretty this morning. They changed the forcast multiple times but we ended up with around 5" of very dry snow on the ground. Less on the trees because of the winds, dry snow doesn't stick so well. Just two weeks ago the leaves on the trees were green. Like I said in another post we we're cheated out of fall this year. The first day of winter isn't until December 21.

Pic taken from back porch.
IMG_20181115_075504.jpg

Last edited: