Winter already?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The last two of our biggest snow storms here (12-20") has been the first week of MARCH!! :old I always shudder at January & February -- if cold, ice, etc., that's when it happens. Our weather here, this time of yr, is low-mid 50 days and mid 30 nights AVERAGE. We've been at or above that overall. Still anxious for another 60 days...of average.:D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amazingly warm for the first part of January here in southern IL.

Screenshot_2019-01-02-12-33-39.png

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, a bit of spring in the middle of winter! Ours is similar, but it's still rainy here. It's said to change soon though...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, a bit of spring in the middle of winter! Ours is similar, but it's still rainy here. It's said to change soon though...

I bit the bullet and bought myself a membership to the old farmers almanac Christmas present it finally came in today. Came with a gardening calendar, copy of the (1819 & 1919) copied of there anual publication and both soft and hard covers of the 2019 almanac.

I've used the old farmers almanc every since I can remember for weather & gardening guides. There winter forcast is pretty much spot on and I'll be sowing hardy seeds indoors over the next few weeks to set out the beginning February and direct sow 1/2 hardies the end of February this spring.

I believe it's going to be a good brassica garden year this year in southern I'll. And I highly doubt I'll have to water the gardens this year. As a matter of fact I'm going to hill up my rows higher and furrows deeper than normal this year. I might even try and grow some celery in the last row at the low end of my spring/fall garden since celery loves so much water. Onions and lettuces are definitely going in the first rows at the high end this year. Mulch mulch mulch this year to keep the weeds down.

Spot on so far
IMG_20190102_164454.jpg

IMG_20190102_164543.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - not so spot on here. Says cool and dry for us this winter. So far not dry at all...I might accept "cool." And says cool and wet for summer '19....geeze I hope not. I want it hotter and dryer than hades right now! I can deal with 105 degrees and dry better than this mess we're living in now... geeze!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Warmer than normal in NH, not much snow yet... That's not abnormal though. Lots of rain, which has been an annoyance but at least it's not mud like FEM has to deal with. I haven't looked at the almanac, I think I heard it called for warmer and wetter winter than normal... If so, it's doing pretty well.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - not so spot on here. Says cool and dry for us this winter. So far not dry at all...I might accept "cool." And says cool and wet for summer '19....geeze I hope not. I want it hotter and dryer than hades right now! I can deal with 105 degrees and dry better than this mess we're living in now... geeze!
Amen sistuh! LOL LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Interesting.... These guys have a weather forecast for the next 90 days:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/tipperary/211369/month/211369?view=table

I'm half tempted to save those and make notes of what actually happens to compare it lol Seriously, we're an island with mainland Europe and England to the east, the North Pole to the north and endless ocean to the south and west. ANYTHING is possible!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed with you Sumi. I have no idea how Accuweather can predict what the weather in my town is going to do 60 days from today. But, looking ahead on the Accuweather site, this is predicted to be the warmest, mildest winter I've ever laid eyes on. When things started out in November, I'd have said the exact opposite. I think less than 10 nights predicted to be less than 0*F. It's not at all uncommon for us to have a week or more at a time when even the day time temps don't make it up to 0*F.