Winter already?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's been very mild here too with a few storms to make things interesting and remind us it's actually winter. I read yesterday evening that cold is coming in the next few days, possibly, but Christmas will be mild. We shall see :caf

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
71 here today. Rainy. But, predict temps upper 50 to low 60s all week. That's not a huge amount above normal here. Jan/Feb are our really cold months. Hoping no more snow, hoping!

What we should all pray for now is good garden weather in 2019!! I so want that to happen. Two years in a row have been fairly crappy here. But I am really focused on a good garden this coming year. I want to refill my freezer and canning jars! :D

Also need to do a large replenish of egg layer flock. That means good broody workers. I prefer hen raised as I free range and they teach the young ones to forage.

Seems like so little to ask....good garden, good hatches. :idunno:clap

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just checked the 10 day forcast. Weather guessers are saying 40's and 50's during the day and low 30's at night. Lowest temp for the next 10 days is guessed at 29. I am so tempted to sow my hardies in the spring garden right now. It's like perfect temperatures to grow cabbages right now. But we still have January & February to go still yet. I am although going to sow my carrot seeds tomorrow.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you mulch and have a row cover to use in Jan/Feb most will do OK. A light covering of straw over the plants will help retain some heat from the soil, if you put sticks in the row, drape the row cover over on/during heavier cold, it's a possible grow! In fact, if you get warm days, you may have to lift a row cover for the day to prevent too much "greenhouse heat". Let us know!

I'm sure thinking the same way here. Of course, my tiller is a pull type and blown engine in mower isn't replaced. So my tilling is quite limited. :D BUT a friend has a walk behind they have said I can borrow. Just need to go get it. Need trailer as it is too heavy for me to lift into truck bed. :rolleyes: Yeah, I can keep it until Spring. ;)

Winter brings on these crazy "need to do" ideas. :lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's still very mild here. People are getting bored (weather and complaining about it is a hot topic in Ireland), so they switched to complaining about Met Éireann (the Irish National Meteorological Service) instead. Apparently they can't get the weather warnings right, it's either too much, or not serious enough. And don't get me started on the poor souls having to do the forecasts in the evening news! lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol it's a hot topic here too, along with the "if you don't like it, why do you live here?"

Sleet right now but should turn to rain soon. And lots of it. I don't need more rain but it's better than snow, until they finish the house!