Winter already?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got another 2 inches of rain yesterday.....but this afternoon it cleared off and we got SUNSHINE! Tomorrow we'll be outside and every day for as long as it lasts.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think we had our last days of summer yesterday and Friday, in October... I promised DS I'll take him to the beach yesterday and we couldn't have asked for a nicer day. By 09:45am I looked at the temperature and it was 57F already! It was windy down at the coast, but it was sun, sun all the way. The bus down to Waterford had a problem with the heating, it got stuck on ON :thBy the time we got down there half the passengers were down to t-shirts, sweating and very uncomfortable. We must've been quite a sight, jumping off the bus trying to cool down lol We're making up for it today though, it's in the low 50's, but it's raining softly. The "s" word is still getting thrown around, so anything is possible over the next week or two :caf

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh boy! That would be quite dramatic weather over there!
Very! It doesn't happen often, so we are not equipped for it. Schools close, businesses close, public transport stops and the shops get emptied of bread, milk and bottled water lol

I remember chatting to a lady in Ennis, Co Clare once. She told me in all her life living in that town, she never saw snow there. (They had a bit of snow last winter)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Long term forecasters are saying we may get a second "Beast from the east" with heavy snow fall like pictured above. Last year we had early snow in December already. This year they are talking about snow at the end of October?!? That's unheard of here. If we get snow it's usually in January or February only.

So Ireland must be like the like southern US? To them, a few inches is "heavy" and they call it a storm. That's a very beautiful and mild land, I've always wanted to go there. Are the summers hot and humid?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Now I KNOW I want to move to your country!!!! Mild winters but still the occasional snow, mild summers, all that green and rolling country, beautiful from one end to the other. You are very blessed!!!
Oh, we are blessed! According to Wikipedia:

"January and February are the coldest months of the year, and mean daily air temperatures fall between 4 and 7 °C (39.2 and 44.6 °F) during these months. July and August are the warmest, with mean daily temperatures of 14 to 16 °C (57.2 to 60.8 °F), whilst mean daily maximums in July and August vary from 17 to 18 °C (62.6 to 64.4 °F) near the coast, to 19 to 20 °C (66.2 to 68.0 °F) inland. The sunniest months are May and June, with an average of five to seven hours sunshine per day.[4] Though extreme weather events in Ireland are comparatively rare when compared with other countries in the European Continent, they do occur. Atlantic depressions, occurring mainly in the months of December, January and February, can occasionally bring winds of up to 160 km/h or 99 mph to Western coastal counties, with the winter of 2013/14 being the stormiest on record.[5] During the summer months, and particularly around late July/early August, thunderstorms can develop."

Now you see why we panic when it goes up to 80F or start to snow ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi your winters are about like ours, it snows every years and it's only 2-3".

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ireland sounds perfect. We get up to 85 (sometimes 90) in the summer and down to -10 (once a winter or so -20) in the winter. It's pretty harsh. Texas winter sounds nice but you can keep your summers!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I remember nights in WV at grands...there was no insulation, wood heat via big stove in lvgrm. We had blankets so heavy you could barely move -- hand made quilts. But, you didn't WANT to move because the spot you turned to was so cold. No way to circulate the heat.
Huddle by the fire. Maybe why I loved the kitchen. Smaller room and always warm/hot stove.

That's when it was nice to have a big family...you always had someone to stay warm with you in the bed. If ya didn't have kids or spouse, you could call in the hounds...hence the three dog night reference. :D

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got 2" of snow last night. Raining now... come on rain, get rid of that snow would you?

Possibility of a big storm Friday. Hope not!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife bought me a new Carhartt coat and wool socks. Guess she felt I may need them while I'm shoveling us out.

OK -- here's a hint -- did she only by YOU these lovely gifts? None for her????? :lol: I don't like winter much either.

I'm just annoyed at the whole thing! Three days ago we had record highs - now we're having record lows... GEEZE! Whatever happened to easing into winter????!

Yes, roller coasters for free....no Disney World! I'm ready to ease OUT of winter and it isn't even Dec! Older I get the more I dislike the cold.:idunno