Wisconsin Roll Call

ZohBug

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hallo everyone!

Well, it started with the idea of getting the 4 chickens that the city allows and my kids -- ages 7 and 3 -- got hooked. Of course, it doesn't help that we have several friends with farms. So now we're looking for a wee bit of space in the country to have a couple of goats (the kids are partial to Nigerian Dwarf goats with LaManchas coming in second), dairy sheep, and a mini donkey, and, of course, many many more chickens in addition to our Nankin bantys.

YIKES!!!

Uhm... I used to be a city gal, but, to be honest, couldn't imagine going "back there" and the idea of goats, sheep, and chickens seems like the life for me. Much to my children's chagrin, I've already told them "no" to a cow and bees as a good friend already has a cow and we know several people who have bees. I can appreciate bees, but that's now where my personal interests lie. If my kids were old enough to take care of them, I would let them, but that's just not the case. Who knows what else is in store for us?

Very best to everyone!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
ZohBug said:
Well, it started with the idea of getting the 4 chickens
:welcome :yuckyuck This story has many different endings for all of us but isn't it a fun start? Looking forward to hearing how your story progresses :clap

How soon do you anticipate moving? I'm currently in the city and still wondering how much bribing it would take for my neighbors to think a goat was just another dog... :idunno

ZohBug

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, framing fowl. I think it depends on your set up. We met a woman in the city who has a double lot and has at least 40 chickens and a barn toward the rear of her property which you can't see from the road. I'm not sure if her neighbors know exactly what she has back there, but let's just say my kids had a grand ole time with her pets! ;) She has more chickens than a friend who has 17 acres in the country. Maybe a pygmy goat will fit the bill or, heck, there are some big dogs, you could get away with a medium sized breed! Just maybe watch what kind of ears they have or you'd have to say it crossbred with a bunny. :D

babylady4

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! From the central part of the state, about 30 min W of the Fox cities.

Looking to purchase a farm and become as self sufficient as possible!
BTW, I am over on BYC a LOT! ;)

suzyq53511

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I "crossed over" from BYC. I think this forum is great! I live in south central wisconsin.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Colfax in west central WI. I have been lurking in the shaddows here for a while. I found BYC when we lived in the country and had our fowl. Two years ago we had to move into town. Since I have crossed over. I really enjoy this site. It has something for everyone.

My wife and I have 5 increadable children, 3 spoiled dogs, 2 fat cats and a pair of canaries. We garden and my wife loves her flower beds. I just recently found out that village ordinances will allow me to have 2 chickens :thumbsup so I am in the process of building a small coop out of 100% recycled material. We all long for the simpler life we had in the country. Just a matter of time a circumstance before we leave the city limits again.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but it seemed like the appropriate place to post a "hello". I'm in SW WI (richland center area) and this is my second year with chickens, first year with bottle baby lambs and our gardens keep getting bigger and bigger. I look forward to learning a lot from this site- thanks!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, I am from WI. I live in the city, so we can't be quite as self-sufficient as we would like. Someday, we will get a home in the country though! I am the mother of 2 boys, ages 6 and 9, and married. We have a large garden, 3 americauna chickens (which we really had to fight for!), and 3 cats.

Even though we live in the city, we try to grow a lot of our own food. My husband taught me how to can, and we also freeze and dehydrate a lot of our food. We have tried to cut back on meat, and eat a lot of venison since we have a lot of hunters in the family. We also have family that raises free grazing cattle, so we have some beef from them too. And of course we have eggs from our girls. I am excited to have found this forum, it seems like a really great place to exchange information.