Wolf-Kim: My head is spinning!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
:love :clap
How sweet. And tasty! :lol:
Shhhh!! Let me enjoy their cuteness without thinking about how good they'll taste if they aren't sold as pets. :lol:

Luckily, the rabbits breed so fast, that I'll have another litter to play with before long. :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
they are so little! We just had to do some minor surgery on one of ours...abcessed tooth. Blech.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was really excited to read your journal. I just got meat rabbits yesterday, a bredding pair of new zealands and a california doe. So I'm very excited to see the pictures of your babies. I will love and snuggle mine until it's time to butcher and then I'll justt say a little prayer to thank them and God and have a good supper. Oh and I have chickens and I garden, or at least try to.

Y'all have a good little farm going on. :thumbsup

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cute bunny pics. They look a bit like rats when they are that small.

On the Celiac topic. My sil has just been tested positive and I am in the process of scheduling test for my kids. On my side my Mom has Fibromyalgia and I turned gray at 25. I have never heard the gray part before very interesting. I think I will get tested as well.

thanks gina

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Guess I better update this thing.

Well, it's December 23, wow it really snuck up on us.

The 11 rabbits born in November are now about 7 weeks old. We weighed them today and they are roughly 2 lbs.

We met a couple of kindred spirits a couple of weeks ago, they had a female rabbit they wanted to breed. So we hooked her up with my buck and sent them on their merry way. They offered to give me pick of the litter for my help, I liked them so well I offered them a baby buck from my litter for future use in their program. They gladly picked one out and went on their way.

Left with 10 baby bunnies. A good friend of ours from church requested one to cook for Christmas, we processed her's today and it will be ready for her to cook for Christmas dinner. It's just a small little thing, but she gave me the impression that the dish was simply an awe factor for her theme this year "redneck Christmas". Adam wanted to give them two, but I didn't want it to go to waste.

So there are nine left, we'll raise them up a little bit larger before their time comes.

My Christmas gift this year was a trio of Silver Fox rabbits. We drove several hours to pick them up and had a lovely chat with the breeder. He showed off, his buck, a whopping 11 lbs! I think my mutt buck is a mere 4-5 lbs. He spoke of a breeder he bought stock from who breeds her rabbits to be BIG at SIX weeks!! I believe he said 5-6lbs at 6 weeks old!!!!!!! :ep :th I can't wait to get these guys really kicking and going, I'll most likely phase out my mutt rabbits at the size these guys get. I am excited about the rabbits. :bun

Mutt doe #1 gave birth this morning to a couple of kits, they were dead on the wire and partially eaten when I walked in. She is still pulling fur and fidgetting with her nest a lot, I'm hoping this means there are more to come. :/

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Keep a close eye on her. Folk wisdom is that once a doe startes eating the babies she will always eat them.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Keep a close eye on her. Folk wisdom is that once a doe startes eating the babies she will always eat them.
She had 3 more later today. She smushed one, or it died of some cause or another(he looked crushed), but the other 2 seem fine.

She's being culled from the breeding program, last litter she had 5 and lost 1, compared to doe #2 who had 9 and lost 1. I bred her just to see if it was a fluke, and I'm dissapointed by this litter too.