Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't have time to read thru the thread....but no, I don't think my kitchen would be shut down at all. I am clean seriously...LOL...I do not follow every guideline the FDA recommends I am sure, but I am also not cooking 25 different types of meals in one night that a restaurant would handle...or have 25 employees running around touching stuff. A clean kitchen and clean towels, sponges, wiped down counters, etc. Most foods are handled to the best cooking and refrigerating etc. I can do---hey my family ain't died YET.....HAHA

I allow no pets in my house....that would be a definite shut down of any kitchen providing for the public.

So nope, for my kitchen and for daily cooking etc. I am sure I would be up and running. I love a clean kitchen and would never be nasty...it just isn't me in general. So "I think" I am safe.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmer Chick- I think you're assigning too much logic to the FDA! They don't care about actually clean and sanitary and safe (did you see Food Inc?) they care about regulations and standards. Do you home can anything other than tomato sauce or jam? Down! Do you use anything other than just paper towels? Down! Do animals ever enter your kitchen?

Not picking on you, just commenting that the FDA doesn't give good advice for the home operation.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
re: mop water -- I always draw water from the bathtub (into a bucket) and then flush the dirty water down the toilet. That is just how I learned to do it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Farmer Chick- I think you're assigning too much logic to the FDA! They don't care about actually clean and sanitary and safe (did you see Food Inc?) they care about regulations and standards. Do you home can anything other than tomato sauce or jam? Down! Do you use anything other than just paper towels? Down! Do animals ever enter your kitchen?

Not picking on you, just commenting that the FDA doesn't give good advice for the home operation.
I am just saying that I have a clean kitchen.....and I haven't killed us yet...LOL....so I do "think" I would PASS a normal home environment kitchen safety standard.....not a FDA food inspection for business and other handlers.

Hey, I pass my meat handlers license each and every year for over 10 years while selling my sausage and pork......and I did get approval from the county to use my kitchen as licensed to selling to the public at the farmer markets...but I never did bake/create and sell foods. No time..LOL
that expired now....

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:clap Nice work, FarmerChick!

I would never want to make food for sale out of my own home kitchen. I really wouldn't want to abide by all the regulations. I like having a free-spririted kitchen. I know I could run a sterile kitchen, I just don't want to.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I am just saying that I have a clean kitchen.....and I haven't killed us yet...LOL....so I do "think" I would PASS a normal home environment kitchen safety standard.....not a FDA food inspection for business and other handlers.

Hey, I pass my meat handlers license each and every year for over 10 years while selling my sausage and pork......and I did get approval from the county to use my kitchen as licensed to selling to the public at the farmer markets...but I never did bake/create and sell foods. No time..LOL
that expired now....
Oh, kudos on the license! I try and keep a clean kitchen, but I live in a TINY apartment. I can almost cook from my bathtub, lol! I really doubt I would pass, considering the whole "one room life" type of thing. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just a pet peeve of mine....I am one of those "gotta have a clean kitchen" people......now don't go looking at my junk room or check too careful in the bathrooms..LOL

Ya know the first question when I had my kitchen inspected for use for the farmer market was----do you or have you recently had any pets or animals in the house? WOW if you answered yes you were NO right off the bat. And recently they meant within a years time frame. Pets are NO and that is all there is to that.

I got all of my requirements list from the county agent and had to have separate refrig for market foods, could not put in with family refrig and had to have separate utensil area for market foods etc. OF COURSE after the inspection, who knows what you do with the stuff..HA HAHA--they got initial control, but after that you can free wing what you do.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
FarmerChick said:

that expired now....
Oh, kudos on the license! I try and keep a clean kitchen, but I live in a TINY apartment. I can almost cook from my bathtub, lol! I really doubt I would pass, considering the whole "one room life" type of thing. :)
I have a clean kitchen---BUT don't ya'll be thinking it is spotless constantly....heck no way...LOL

Remember though, home kitchen and FDA requirements are kinda not in the same ball park --kinda a stretch you will be refrigerating 25 lbs. of coleslaw for a week long, or 100 lbs of ground meat for burgers..lol