Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hoo boy! I am NOT eating at any of your houses!!!

Okay, mine is just as bad.

*Press out butter on wooden cutting board.

*Pick dropped food off the floor and toss it back into the pot.

*Bleach ONLY used during canning, never anywhere else.

*No antibacterial soap.

*Homemade dish detergent and dishwasher detergent.

*Veggies with honest-to-goodness dirt on them! I try to get it all, but sometimes the spinach is crunchy :D

*Occasionally a MASSIVE fruit fly infestation, as during this summer when there was never a break from peaches to pears to tomatoes to apples and there were literally 1000s of fruit flies in the kitchen. Sometimes they got up my nose when I disturbed them. Thankfully down to about 5 now.

*Unwashed eggs!!! AND raw eggs eaten on occasion.

*Fermenting products.

*I've been known to scrape mold off cheese and use the rest. Even sometimes from the top layer in an old jar of applesauce.

*I totally walk the line on food age. If it smells okay, we're eating it. Even if beans smell a tiny bit off, I rinse them and we eat them. Gross, but I hate throwing out food.

BUT, when it's other people stomachs I'm cooking for, I shape up bigtime. I know my family and our tolerance, and we are completely, perfectly healthy. But, I totally wouldn't do some of the above for company or for canning.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
my just-pulled-carrots are sometimes crunchy
;-)

greens are always extra rinsed.. we have a saying here:

wash before eating anything from the garden that is hip-high to to a dog

;-)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I'll just say yes and leave it at that! Although the school kitchen I managed in a former life always passed inspections with flying colors. Of course, Titan and The Ladies weren't ever allowed in that kitchen! :lol:

edited for typo

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
me&thegals said:
*I've been known to scrape mold off cheese and use the rest. Even sometimes from the top layer in an old jar of applesauce.
DH says that makes the cheese taste better ;)
Doesn't everybody do that? And to scrape or not to scrape depends on how thick the mold is yes?

I wish I could have gotten a pic of the look on Sharon's face when I opened a jar of 4 or 5 year old pickled beets for dinner one night. :)

Steve

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Let the FDA in MY kitchen!??? :ep They wouldnt make it pass the front door step....where there are several pairs of rubber boots..with I am sure some sort of animal feces on them. :idunno
I have given chickens "sitz baths" in my kitchen sink....my pom's have gotten stinky butts...and they stand on the counter, bums hanging over the edge so I can snip the poopy off, then in the sink for a quick rinse. Work on the septic.....wash in the kitchen sink....work on trucks...wash in the kitchen sink. Our kitchen is the main depot to hand washing. I use the sink for my mop water... :hide I have to say tho, I only have ONE wood cutting board..and rarely use it. I have the plastic flimsy ones....I love them! You can chop whatcha need chopped, then pick it up, fold it and "funnel" it into the pot. ;) I say....bring on the FDA...between all of us, we can wipe them out in NO time! :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bucket, I suppose......I use the sink also. Easy to see how dirty the water is getting and easy to rinse the mop. :)