Would your extended family want to mooch off you?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My brother and sister would make their way home on foot if needed because they know we will survive. My sister would help all that she could, my brother who is grossly overweight and has bad knees, would ACT like he was helping, but would just PMO and be in the way. My IL's would turn to their son (my Hubby) and we would have to help. They will probably try to help and MAY bring in different skills BUT, FIL doesnt do much for himself now why should a disaster be any different.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My MIL is a retired nurse, so that might come in handy at some point, although I would hope not:>) She is a good gardner and knows how to perserve, so yes, she would have a few great skills that we could rely on. My FIL is very old and frail, and what he would bring with him is love:>) He is a dear man to me.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some will try to mooch, but most won't.

Sad as it may be my side of the family, parents, brothers and sisters, all live at least 1/2 hour drive from here. None of them are like me. No one is self sufficient in the least. They think I am a little crazy! However, I would still take all of them in, and their families, if given the opportunity. I love them all dearly and we all get along great! If they could get here, they would be welcomed and I know they would at least make the attempt to contribute all they could! Which brings me to my DH's family... They all live closer, my MIL and FIL in the same town. I would happily take in my MIL and FIL. They are good people and would have much to contribute. His only sibling however, is another story. She is married to a horrible man that I would not want anywhere near my children. She has three children of her own that are spoiled rotten and do whatever they please and talk to adults with the most vulgar language and utter disrespect (and this is at the ages of 10, 9, and 5) that things would definately have to change before I would even consider taking them in! The only good thing about this is that my DH and I are of like minds. HE actually dislikes his sister and BIL more than I do. I can carry a civil conversation with her and he cannot. This is sad to me as I am soo close with my family. I understand where he comes from though. She has made many bad choices and done many hurtful things to her family.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
they wouldn't mooch. I would willingly invite everyone over in times of need.
Same here. Most over my family moved 180+ miles away though. Plus they have a longer growing season so I may have to mooch off them.

For gifts I buy hint giving books such as Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, by Abigail R. Gehring and The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
None of my, or my wife's, family would mooch. They all live 500 miles to the north, south, east and west.

If any made it here they'd be welcome, as long as those that are able, pull their weight. Those unable to do physical work could watch the young'uns, peel potatoes, etc., but they would contribute to the best of their abilities.

Everyone can usually contribute something, and as long as they make an honest attempt, they are welcome. However, anyone who did try to mooch would be "asked" to find other accommodations.

My wife and I actually discussed this, after seeing some of the recent economic news, and decided that if there were enough warning, that we would invite family to join us.

Today the talking heads are speaking of new government bail outs for corporations, to the tune of "hundreds of billions of dollars". Our children, and their children, and so on, for many years to come, are screwed. These new bailouts are projected to be nearly a trillion dollars. That's twelve zeroes behind the one. We are mortgaging our descendents (sp) future.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My FIL is the only close extended family. We don't mooch off eachother, but even now we work together. My husband helps him with odd and ends up at his house, and vice versa (he lives 500 ft up the road.)

Currently my FIL is helping my husband plant fence posts for the pasture and in return, I fix meals and feed everyone. I am not going to begrudge feeding my FIL since he is investing time, sweat, and blood in helping us get our pasture done, firewood cut, etc.

The ones I expect that would mooch live several states away and would have to find their way here first LOL

purplebaby7

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
my brother would be a great help as he has way more butchering and hunting experience than all of us put together!! he is very involved in a friends farm. BUT as he lives in a condo in a cruddy area he would be welcome here with daughter and wife. they have lived with us b4 and if nec will again!

my sis lives upstate ny and i have no doubt she will be ok. mom and uncle are in fla. i would worry about them but they are also welcome. they are both fiercely independent and have survived much so i think they will be fine.

mil, fil, sil etc live in san fransisco, and her husband is financial analyst so they better be prepared! i could never have them here for extended time. hard enough when they visit.

bil is good guy but also fiercely independant, no wife no kids (but i think he has finally met "the one" so soon he may have both) he would be welcome as he would work his tail off.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My parents would help us with gardening to make more food to help feed them. But they do have a good stockpile of food in a bedrm closet. My brother might ask for eggs but he would have his own garden. Ds#1 knows we will help him & he would probobly move back home.
As to inlaws, dad & stepmom do garden(although on a small scale) & could provide a little bit of food for themselves. So we would help them out a little bit too. As to sil's not on your life would we give them anything. After the garbage they pulled & said about me after dmil passed away we do not even speak to the older one.
Friends it would have to be on a case by case basis & depending on how much we actually have.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
There would be two moochers in my family and extended family. #1 biggest moocher would be my DIL. But as she is married to my son and is the mother of my grandchildren I am not sure how I would handle her. She does not cook, clean, tend her children etc. even with all the modern conveniences I can not imagine how she would be without them. Son on the other hand, cooks, cleans, takes care of kids, sweeps, mops, and a former Marine that can live off of insects. Not a lazy bone in his body. (Go Figure).
#2 Moocher would be my SIL. This is a woman who hires everything out. She will actually skip meals so she will have money to pay for someone to clean her house weekly. She remodeled her kitchen last year. I have ask her off and on over the last 8 months if she likes her new stove. Her answer is always the same. "I don't know I have not used it yet.
But....I would probably end up having to deal with both of these people and help take care of thier needs. The biggest obstical for the son and family would be getting to my house since they live over a 100 miles away. Maybe he and the kids can walk and DIL will just wait for us to drive over to pick her up.....LOL
Everyone else in the family would be welcome at my house since they would all bring helpful skills with them.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
2dream said:
There would be two moochers in my family and extended family. #1 biggest moocher would be my DIL. But as she is married to my son and is the mother of my grandchildren I am not sure how I would handle her. She does not cook, clean, tend her children etc. even with all the modern conveniences I can not imagine how she would be without them. Son on the other hand, cooks, cleans, takes care of kids, sweeps, mops, and a former Marine that can live off of insects. Not a lazy bone in his body. (Go Figure).
#2 Moocher would be my SIL. This is a woman who hires everything out. She will actually skip meals so she will have money to pay for someone to clean her house weekly. She remodeled her kitchen last year. I have ask her off and on over the last 8 months if she likes her new stove. Her answer is always the same. "I don't know I have not used it yet.
But....I would probably end up having to deal with both of these people and help take care of thier needs. The biggest obstical for the son and family would be getting to my house since they live over a 100 miles away. Maybe he and the kids can walk and DIL will just wait for us to drive over to pick her up.....LOL
Everyone else in the family would be welcome at my house since they would all bring helpful skills with them.
She has a new stove and hasn't used it yet?!! :smack

I would be a cooking/baking fool!! Especially if my kitchen was newly remodeled!! My only stipulation for a new kitchen would be give me a place to knead/roll out dough LOL