Would your extended family want to mooch off you?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp: I kid you not.
She is 62 now but has been this way all her life. No husband, no kids and as sloppy as a pig at home. Out in public you would never guess. Every hair in place, nice clothes, impeccable manners, pedicures and manicures weekly. She always looks like a million dollars. LAZY, does not begin to describe her. But lordy I would hate to have to live with her during a crisis situation.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting around here. My two sons live about 17 miles away. The only ones who help with meals are one son who will BBQ and my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren who love to help in the kitchen. And yes even though they make a mess I let them help. They all think if anything happens they can move out here. We have 7 acres and 4 are pasture which would be good for planting but not for wood to burn. My husband and I are trying to stockpile food and ammo. I would like to sell stuff we do not need to buy stuff we might.

I am really worried about the state of our country. Today's news of the stockmarket dropping almost 800 points did not help. I work at the bank whose stock went down to .94 cents today. And oh did I mention getting bought by another bank that that is not much healthier than they are/were.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I agree, with the way things have turned so quickly lately I am really worried.
I think that all the things we have been talking about as a possibility or what ifs have become when it happens.

Like I said before, as near as I can tell none of my siblings would ever ask for help.
They are competitive and to them it would be perceived as failure.
I have one brother that is a hunter and could take care of himself.
The rest, I don't know about.
The thing is though when things get down to the nitty gritty would they really go down with the ship because of their pride or ask for help?
Its not like I have alot to give either but I am more of a make do kind of person than they are.
None of them garden, preserve food or anything like that. They think I am crazy for keeping chickens.
My father is good at turning nothing into something and has his own big garden.
But he is getting up there in age and my mother is not in good health. They would never leave their house and move in with anyone. I live within a mile of them so they would be able to stay in there own house and we could still help them out.

I really think that things are going to get worse quickly and feel unprepared still.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony's parents came over for dinner tonight and we were chatting about---the economy, what else?---and we were talking about being able to survive with the farm......His Dad Ralph mentioned that there were a ton of squirrel in the woods, we have deer and all other edible critters, LOL, so we know if push comes to shove we would be OK.

BUT--Tony mentioned letting all the chickens out to forage if we couldn't buy feed, and I said we would need 12 ft high barbed wire and razor wire around those suckers with a 24 hr. guard if times became THAT BAD! LOL

It would be time to buy a BIG GUARD DOG!

Times are scary but they happened before and will happen again...we just gotta ride it thru and hope the govt. knows what they are doing..ugh!!

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
!

Times are scary but they happened before and will happen again...we just gotta ride it thru and hope the govt. knows what they are doing..ugh!!
Karen,

That is really scary!!!!!

Susan

eastTNchick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are some that would most definitely want to "mooch" off of us, but I know we plan to discourage it as much as possible.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I told dh that if things get that bad I want a padlock on my chicken pens. No chance for neighbors to steal my hens or eggs then. We have a lot of quail out here along with rabbits too(wild). And I think I would start seeing less of both if times got really bad. The quail are really big & fat too.

I am not sure about all this bailout business, as I have heard financial experts give different views but most of them say even if we do this the crash is still going to happen, just take a little longer. Then where do we sit? All I know is I am trying to get prepared for the worst. Buying extra batteries, oil for my lamps & getting my propane tanks filled. Told dh to go get himself some more ammo too(hunting & defending). Plus I want to get some more fuel for our camp stove too.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to try canning squirrel. It would probably be the last thing we'd eat but hey, what the heck. If I was hungry......I'd eat it.
I know I already answered this but I am going to answer it again...My brother and sister would be welcome home here. My mom and dad, IL, SIL's and BIL's would be welcome also. There would just have to be ground rules. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This is so interesting! I wonder what sociologists would say about people's behavior during tight times? It seems like most people would be happy to bond together as long as everyone was helping out.

That's how I think I would feel. Everyone is welcome as long as everyone is considerate, generous in their help and personal offering to the group.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is it too Pollyanna to imagine that everyone would help out or contribute?

I can imagine the psycho grab bag that is my family, gathered in one place, attempting to share and share alike.....well, no, I cannot imagine it...its too hideous to even contemplate! :barnie

I think I would make my way to the nearest wolverine den and try to snuggle in there before I would go that route! :D :gig