Would your extended family want to mooch off you?

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know that this is a hard topic. Now more than ever because it all looks so shaky. We have a close extended family in state, and my Mom lives near my brother and his close and strong family. Being rural would be a real plus, because I am going to have so much trouble with neighbors who know I have my preparations in place. I have a couple of old friends that I would have to at least show what to do. I also have a couple of old neighbors that have a strong backbone and knowledge that makes them talk about some of us as sissies. LOL We have access to fresh water with a solar pump on the well. This is going to be something to protect, much like the generator. No one is going without water while that runs, but so many don't know how to tie a knot what with velcro running shoes.... ya know.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We would all help each other on MY side of the family. On DH's side....my SIL next door would probably want food, but would be willing to exchange other things for it like help around the house or something, so would BIL next door. The other in-laws...one lives far far away and the parents in law, would want to move in. FIL would do what he could, he's 70....MIL 65 wouldn't last 5 minutes under my roof and my rules. She'd get mouthy and get tossed off my island :( She is mad at me for "taking her girls" because I have raised DH's two daughters as if they were my own and kind of put some distance between them and the kids because let's face facts, grandparents(unhealthily) spoil children and send them home. MIL was the WORLD'S WORST about it, and actually laughed at me having a hard time with the girls hopped up on chocolate EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY VISITED. She'd send them home right before supper full of Little Debbies...yeah, she'd be first to go. I can tolerate anyone else except my brother who would be too lazy to help feed himself. He's also very inconsiderate of others but he'd last longer than MIL. For most anybody, my house has ALWAYS been open to those in need or those just wanting to come over and spend the day. I like sharing and enjoy company and help with chores sometimes. I don't see why I should change during hard times. :hu When I have hit hard times, others have helped me, and I am NOT ungrateful for that, nor have I forgotten.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thye can try but I now how to defend what I have . :) What ever way I need to. please don't.....stop......don't touch that......leaveeee.... go home... that's ours.... come onnnn...... etc etc etc. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I could give anyone food to fill their bellies that day if they were desperate, and then teach them how to survive. My immediate family is always welcome here and helping out is not even questioned. I have 72 first cousins, almost all with spouses and children and many with grandchildren...so.....it just would not be possible.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In a SHTF situation, I think most of the extended family would be too far away to get to us. Would that be a bad thing or a good thing? LOL

My sister is useless as far as SS skills, but she would help and be willing to learn. Brother would try to take over and I would have to kill him. Hubby's family is a mixed bag. I have some military nephews I would love to have around in a bad spot :D