you dont see this much in 2009

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well i am moving to wagener sc in a couple of months and decided to look at the monthly newspaper today and boy wht did i find

a black female teacher was awarded colored teacher of the year award

thats crazy

WHAT HAPPENED TO TEACHER OF THE YEAR

COLORED TEACHER OF THE YEAR IF I WERE HER I WOULD HAVE TOLD THEM TO SHOVE THAT AWARD WHERE YOUR DOG SNIFFS YOU

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I tried searching the town on Google and could only find "Teacher of the Year" stories.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That drives me nuts. The person who helps us with our books for our business asked me if we'd applied for a small business loan for minorities. I was confused....why would we qualify? She looked at me and looked at my husband and they both burst out laughing at me. He is decidedly brown. I forgot. :p I was brought up to think of race in terms of the human race only.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i will have to admit my dad was very racist he was kkk in the late 70s

my 3 kids have a black dad go figure

my mom on the other hand was not racist and raised me that everyone was equal

i would tell her about my dad using the word n..... and she would always say that word is for the ignorant and stupid people who did not know better and does not refer to color and she would say look it up in the dictionary

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I live in the central valley of California. We have Hispanic XXX of the Year in almost every conceivable demographic. I have only heard complaints from white supremecists.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've always felt that limiting anything to a race is promoting racism. Doesn't matter what the race is. Equal is equal and works in both directions.

You can't keep a woman out of any club or gym, yet there are plenty of "women only" places. We would never see the "White teacher of the year award." Nor should we.

It is like saying two plus two equals four, but four does not equal two plus two. Makes no sense to me. Never did.

Reaction score
Looks like it's a national award. Someday people wont see color when they look at a person. I don't think I'll live to see that day though. It always makes me think of that Star Trek episode from the original series. They go to this planet where everyone is black on one side and white on the other. Some are black on the right side others are black on the left side. Mirror images in other words. The whole planet is at war over it. I thought it was an interesting take on racism.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
http://www.wagenersc.com/wagener-monthly/2009/august

its very close to the top maybe 1st or the 2nd page
Thanks, I finally found it. It does say Teacher of Color rather than colored teacher. I do get your point though. Why can't she just be a Teacher of the Year?
I admit I am not up on the current acceptable terms. I do have some friends who don't care to be called African American because they're Jamaican. Is there a difference between the terms "person of color" and "colored person"?
We live in a town with a high percentage of Hispanic people also, most Puerto Rican but some Mexican as well. We don't have any separate Hispanic xxx awards here.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A teacher is a teacher doesnt matter what color you are it is a nobel profession (imo) and i am thankful they have taken on this task because i would hate to be with a bunch of kids 6-8 hours a day

A person is a person unless you are here and you are not suppose to be here

Edited - Please do not type in all caps, it is considered shouting. I have changed the case of your sentences