you dont see this much in 2009

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am not sure if your capital letters are intended as shouting at me. I am not arguing with you. I do spend 7 hours a day with other peoples children although I am not a certified teacher. I have great respect for teachers as well.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
no doll i was on im and didnt change

Reaction score
Evidently the award is funded and administered by a group supporting black teachers. It is to encourage black teachers to excel in the area of teaching and to encourage more to enter the field. It may be an attempt at tackling some of the problems in inner city schools. That's just a theory on my part.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I was brought up to see people as people, and for who they are on the inside. Skin is just a color. White people aren't even white. Haven't you seen a white crayon?? Sheeoot that ain't the color of MY skin!

Anyway, I have a brother who's father was black and his mother is my mother. My dear brother is a beautiful caramel shade. Do you know how many people go tanning until they are as dark as him???!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now that's a different story, I gather. I don't keep up with all the PC terms either, as I don't see different colors in my world, just the beauty of the picture.

BUT...I must say that the black race seem to have a double standard thingy going on sometimes. Like BET. Can you just see the ruckus that would break out if there was WET?

Sort of like this thing....if caucasians had set up an award for persons of color, it would be the rage of the age and law suits would fly. But since it has been started and supported by a black organization, it is fine. What up with that? :hu

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Speaking of Crayola, remember the one they actually called "skin"??? Yikes! Now there are "cultural" Crayolas with many different tones.
In my town you either learn that different skin tones and languages are a part of life here. I am as likely to hear Spanish in any public space as I am English. I've worked in surrounding towns and had people be utterly shocked that I would want to live here. They are afraid to come into downtown itself. It was an eye opener to me that people were still that biggoted in the early 2000s.
But I digress and it is time for bed since capital letters almost made me cry. :rolleyes: Good night!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It isn't about colored people....it isn't a colored teachers award.
very much out of context

Teacher of Color Award is very prestigious and here are the stats:

Who is Eligible?

To be eligible for this award, college or university students must be Language Arts Majors, first-time presenters at the GCTE Conference, persons of color and (1) student teaching interns (or have recently completed student teaching) or (2) graduate students enrolled in English or English Education programs.

geez it truly has nothing to do with what race the teacher is....

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You think thats bad? Our first Afro-centric school just opened in Ontario (I think!).

Isn't that just segregation under a different name?