You will never guess what is in my barn right now!!!! Now with Pics!!!

ALANB.

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:) MISS_the north ; I thought Sheeps or goats milk made the best cheese ? Have you ever tried making butter from goats-milk ? I have and never succeeded !! Takes a week just to seperate , Advise me if you can , (E-mail Please . Thankyou ......... ALANB.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
72_tn1.jpg

Just for a size comparison, I am 5'9" tall, and the calf, who is still nameless at the moment, is three months old.

72_securedownload1.jpg

Isn't she adorable?!?!? She needs a name though. Dd and I are wracking our brains trying to think up the perfect name. I spent several hours in the barn today trying to earn her trust. She will now come to me, lick me and let me scratch her head. When I went out to feed the critters tonight, she actually came up to me and licked me, when I stuck my hand over the wall.

Sorry the pics took so long. It was a b e a utiful day out today, and I was not in the house much.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ALANB. said:
:) MISS_the north ; I thought Sheeps or goats milk made the best cheese ? Have you ever tried making butter from goats-milk ? I have and never succeeded !! Takes a week just to seperate , Advise me if you can , (E-mail Please . Thankyou ......... ALANB.
I never got enough milk to actually try cheese or such. We drank it, it was delish!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Cool beans! Congrats!! :D

When will she be old enough to breed?

Pat
From what I've heard about 15-18 months. Gestation is 9 months, just like us. Which really kinda blows, since I would prefer a spring birth, but I guess we'll have to make due.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Boogity said:
How big will she get? I want one anyway.
She should stand about 44" at the shoulder when full grown, she needs about a 1/2 acre of good pasture. they have reports of how much milk she wil give, but I'll have to report back when we get that far. I plan on only grass feeding her--pasture in summer, and hay in winter. So my quantities might be less than what is projected, since 'they' usually grain their cows. I will be getting a microscope, (although it looks like I will have to buy brand new, since I can't seem to find any used), and she will be going natural/herbal.