Your Favorite Pumpkin and Squash Recipes!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
keljonma said:
I made this the other day ... except I don't buy cake mixes, so I used a jar of homemade yellow cake mix instead. Next time, I don't think I'll use the whole jar. :D
Okay--FESS up! What's the recipe?!?!? :frow <--this is me, trying to be nice
how funny! i was just scrolling down to ask for this too!!!

thanks so much for mentioning that you can make 'yellow cake mix' - i've been dying to make this but have been avoiding the mix too. i wasnt sure if making a yellow cake from scratch would work or not.

ok you fans are waiting........

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made the butternut fries last night and they were nicely browned but mushy! Why? I turned the oven up, and even left the door ajar for a few minutes at the end, hoping to dry them a bit. I seriously dislike mushy squash. The dogs ate it. The new dog barfed it up on our bet last night!!! :sick but :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Chile-Roasted Acorn Squash

( I am making this for dinner tonight...will post a review later)

chile-acorn-squash-1109-l.jpg

Time: 1 hour. You can eat these spicy-sweet, soft wedges skin and all.

Yield: Serves 10 to 12
Ingredients
2 large acorn squash
1 1/2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles
About 2 tsp. kosher salt
7 tablespoons canola oil
6 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Cut each half into 3 wedges. In a small bowl, stir remaining ingredients together with 1 tbsp. water.

2. Slather wedges with chile mixture, holding over bowl to catch drips (use about half of mixture). Set wedges in an oiled rimmed baking pan; cover loosely with foil.

3. Bake squash 15 minutes. Uncover and drizzle with remaining chile mixture. Bake until very tender, about 25 minutes more. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

Make ahead: Chill, covered, up to 1 day; reheat 20 minutes at 350.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.

Nutritional Information
Calories:
146 (50% from fat)
Protein:
0.9g
Fat:
8.3g (sat 0.6)
Carbohydrate:
19g
Fiber:
1.8g
Sodium:
338mg
Cholesterol:
0.0mg
Sunset, NOVEMBER 2009

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Squash was nt very good...kind of weird. Not gonna recommend it.

I swapped out the canola oil for olive oil and added a squeeze of lime.....just not loving it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I can see how butter would be better....but it was mushy and a bit bitter from the chipotle.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I made this last night....

Spicy Butternut Soup

Ingredients
2 butternut squash
1 lb of pork sausage
6oz sliced portabella mushrooms
1 red onion
2 packages cream cheese
ground cayenne pepper
Salt, pepper, fennel and ground sage

Half and clean the butternut squash. Either roast in the oven (350 for 2 hours or so) or microwave in a covered dish with a little water (45-60 minutes). While the squash is cooking, brown the sausage and drain. Set aside. Dice the onions and cook in butter until caramelized. In a separate pan, cook the sliced mushrooms in butter until soft.

Once the squash is nice and soft, scoop it out of its shell and run through a food processor or blender with just enough hot water to get the blades to get the squash mixed well. (In my little food processor it took about 4 batches.)

Pour the squash puree in to a large stock pot. Add the sausage, onion and mushrooms. Add more water if needed to get the puree to a nice thick soup consistency. Add spices to taste. (I go heavy on the cayenne!). Once everything is hot and well blended, stir in the cream cheese. Keep stirring until it's melted.

Serve in a large bowl with a pat of butter on top :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow, WZ, that's sounds great! Really, really rich, but good. I can just imagine the mushrooms and sausage with squash--what a hearty, fall flavor. :drool

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That sounds great Wifey....I copied and saved it.

So far we are not huge butternut and acorn squash fans. I am hoping a soup will go over better.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, finally, a squash soup that actually sounds good to me. What can I sub for the cream cheese? Drained kefir? Heavy cream? I can't handle storebought cream cheese, unless I can clear a couple days in my schedule to be very ill! Too much work to make it for a soup.