Your Favorite Pumpkin and Squash Recipes!

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My family doesn't yet like squash, except in pumpkin pie and breads. I got some zucchini in them with this recipe.

Chicken, Tomato, Zucchini Stew

4 cups tomatoes
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp basil
1 tsp EACH thyme, marjoram
2 tsp salt
cubed, cooked chicken meat
2 cups brown rice
2 medium zucchini cut into 1/2" chunks

Combine tomatoes, chicken stock and spices. Bring to a boil.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer 45-55 minutes until rice is cooked.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Pumpkin Dump Cake

SERVES 20 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin

1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs

1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup butter or margarine, melted

Directions
1Beat the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, spices, and eggs together.
2Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
3Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over your mixture.
4Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.
5Finally, drizzle the butter on top of this mixture.
6Bake at 350F for one hour.

We like to let it set a few minutes to cool off a little and set up all the way and then serve it with cool whip on top while still warm!! Oh man I am telling you it is soooo good!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My SIL just made that one this past weekend. It was really nummy!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I made this the other day ... except I don't buy cake mixes, so I used a jar of homemade yellow cake mix instead. Next time, I don't think I'll use the whole jar. :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
South of France Vegetable Soup (with Squash or Pumpkin)
5 c chicken or veg stock
1 c rinsed cooked/canned white beans
1c diced potatoes
1c chopped tomatoes
1/2 c thinly sliced carrots
1/2 c thinly sliced onions
1/2 c thinly sliced leeks
1/2 zucchini, thin slices
1/2 c halved green beans
1/2 c cubed butternut squash or pumpkin
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 oz angelhair pasta

Place all vegetables in large pot, bring to boil and simmer 20 min or till tender. Stir in pasta, simmer uncovered for 5 min.

Pesto
French bread

At serving place dollup of pesto on top middle of soup in bowl. Serve with french bread on side. Serves four.
From Linda McCartney

me&thegals

Reaction score
That sounds great, Sylvie!

Here are a couple more. I haven't tried them yet, but they sure sound awesome and were highly rated on allrecipes.com:

Pumpkin Black Bean Soupallrecipes.com
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
cup butter
1 cups chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
pound cubed cooked ham
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar

1. Pour 2 cans of the black beans into a food processor or blender, along with the can of tomatoes. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the onion is softened. Stir in the bean puree, remaining can of beans, beef broth, pumpkin puree, and sherry vinegar. Mix until well blended, then simmer for about 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in the ham, and heat through before serving.

Pumpkin Ravioliallrecipes.com
1 cup ricotta cheese
cup pumpkin puree
teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups all-purpose flour
teaspoon salt
cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons water

1. Mix the cheese, pumpkin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the nutmeg. Set filling aside.
2. Mix the flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the flour. Beat the tomato paste, oil, and eggs until well blended, and pour into the well in the flour. Stir with a fork, gradually bring the flour mixture to the center of the bow until the dough makes a ball. If the dough is too dry, mix in up to 2 tablespoons water.
3. Knead lightly on a floured cloth-covered surface, adding flour if dough is sticky, until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover, and let rest for another 5 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll the dough, one part at a time, into a rectangle about 12 x 10 inches. Keep the rest of the dough covered while working.
4. Drop 2 level teaspoons filling onto half of the rectangle, about 1 1/2 inches apart in 2 rows of 4 mounds each. Moisten the edges of the dough, and the dough between the rows of pumpkin mixture with water. Fold the other half of the dough up over the pumpkin mixture, pressing the dough down around the pumpkin. Cut between the rows of filling to make ravioli; press the edges together with a fork, or cut with a pastry wheel. Seal edges well. Repeat with the remaining dough and pumpkin filling. Place ravioli on towel. Let stand, turning once, until dry, about 30 minutes.
5. Cook ravioli in 4 quarts of boiling salted water until tender; drain carefully.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I made this one last night. Boy, was it great! The family devoured it! It's also incredibly forgiving because I halved the sugar, converted to whole-wheat pastry flour, cut butter in half and added back the volume in buttermilk and completely forgot the eggs!

Pumpkin Cornbread
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup ground cornmeal
1 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
t baking soda
t salt
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin, pureed
4 T butter, melted
cup milk
cup walnuts, optional

Combine dry ingredients in bowl with whisk. Make a well in the center. Dump wet ingredients in and whisk just until combined well. Pour batter into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 min, or until loaf is golden brown and slightly separated from the edge of the pan. Remove from oven and let cool 10 min. Remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing with a serrated knife.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I made this the other day ... except I don't buy cake mixes, so I used a jar of homemade yellow cake mix instead. Next time, I don't think I'll use the whole jar. :D
Okay--FESS up! What's the recipe?!?!? :frow <--this is me, trying to be nice

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Can ya helpo me find a recipe? Way back at Thanksgiving ( I;m in Canada remember) my folks took us out to a restaurant for a th-giving buffet. They had there a peppery squash side dish there. Like I said, it was a bit peppery, not creamy at all (so therefore no cream added, but it was pureed. I have searched for a recipe for it, didn't find one, ried to duplicate it with an acorn squash, but didn't come close. Anyone got any ideas? In my possession, I have butternut, acorn and buttercup squash.