Your Physical Self

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
We just recently (about 4 months ago) cut out refined sugar and most processed foods. We also cut back on the carbs and yeast products. I wasn't overweight to begin with, but my DH has lost about 25 lbs. now. We are sleeping sooooo much better, more soundly and restful. Six months ago I was at my wits end because I could not sleep well at all. I was considering getting some kind of prescription sleeping aid. I'm glad I didn't.

Enjoy the ride - I hope you continue to recover. Alot of people would have just sat down and gave up.

My dad is 83. Every year he puts out a monsterous garden. In the spring he is always so excited to plant way too much of everything. And each fall he says "Next year I'm going to cut back." Yeah, right. But, it keeps him going and active. I've always told my DS "If your Papaw dies with a gun, fishing rod or hoe in his hand, he will die a happy man."

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I am different from many of you...
We had always been very busy working folk. I worked three jobs, DH worked two. We had strange hours and found ourselves eating out way too much and depending on junk food and prepackaged foods to make our lives alittle easier. About 8 years ago now we made some changes...I now work only two jobs and so does DH but our hours are different and allow us way more time!! That is about the same time that we began to be more frugal and stopped the junk food and the eating out. At least we don't do it as much, my hubby and I still enjoy our "dinner dates". Then about 3 years ago we made a huge effort, and continue to get better, at becoming more self sufficient. I do notice a big difference. I feel that It has been a work in progress and as we continue to make changes our health seems to improve as well. One of my children had really bad asthma, now he only carries an inhaler and uses it rarely - about once every week or so. This is a huge improvement!! Also my DH has intestinal problems and we have seen great improvement there as well. I am still what the medical field calls overweight but I am healthy. I get migraine headaches and I have went off my medication to control them now. I do have them still but I am able to control them through watching my diet and getting the proper amount of sleep, and that kind of thing.
So I do feel our change in lifestyle has really changed our lives!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
I guess I am different from many of you...
We had always been very busy working folk. I worked three jobs, DH worked two. We had strange hours and found ourselves eating out way too much and depending on junk food and prepackaged foods to make our lives alittle easier. About 8 years ago now we made some changes...I now work only two jobs and so does DH but our hours are different and allow us way more time!! That is about the same time that we began to be more frugal and stopped the junk food and the eating out. At least we don't do it as much, my hubby and I still enjoy our "dinner dates". Then about 3 years ago we made a huge effort, and continue to get better, at becoming more self sufficient. I do notice a big difference. I feel that It has been a work in progress and as we continue to make changes our health seems to improve as well. One of my children had really bad asthma, now he only carries an inhaler and uses it rarely - about once every week or so. This is a huge improvement!! Also my DH has intestinal problems and we have seen great improvement there as well. I am still what the medical field calls overweight but I am healthy. I get migraine headaches and I have went off my medication to control them now. I do have them still but I am able to control them through watching my diet and getting the proper amount of sleep, and that kind of thing.
So I do feel our change in lifestyle has really changed our lives!
That's great to hear!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner--I am like you in a way
***I guess I am different from many of you...
We had always been very busy working folk

You beat me in timing...you changed about 8 years ago....I changed about 4 years ago.
Tony and I both worked real jobs and farmed full time and had real farm income. Whew...no time to cook, can, freeze hardly. So it was fast food, pre-packaged junk etc.....all inhaled at warp speed...LOL..like we handled the farm.

Nicole is 3 now and I changed when PG. Got to quit the job and the farm is my responsibility....I changed all the foods we eat etc. to the good stuff. Lost close to 50 lbs now and only have 20 more to go to goal weight......I FEEL so much better living a simpler, slower life. Of course I am super busy....BUT....it is on my time schedule now, not my old job schedule....so it is a blessing!

Health, family, quality of life, saving money and time to enjoy camping, etc....all things that are super important now versus the rat race out there.

Last 4 years for me has been huge changes toward slowing down. I remember when I started the farm 10 years ago I said "lifestyle change"--yikes I thought farm lifestyle was slow and easy....wow ....did I get fooled..HA HA
but now I have that more time control and it is so much better.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well...... now that I'm not working out of the home, I am able to cook more (most all) at home... I tend to eat a little more ... o.k.. a lot more. I munch all day long. If I'm cooking or baking I have to sample it.. and if it's good.. I have to have a serving (or two) ;)

When I worked (full time X2) out of the home there wasn't time for all the snacking and I could plan out my meals for the day and portions (whether I packed meals, or ate out) So I've gained weight now that I'm cooking all meals at home. When i'd eat out I'd eat half of my meal and pack the other half "to go" for lunch the next day. At home, It's easy to get seconds. I'm awful w/ portion control. DH has gained weight too! Home cooked food just tastes so much better! We have a little extra padding now... just discussed this yesterday, we need to start walking more everyday. I don't think that's going to help though.

None of us have had to be on antibiotics for anything though. And much less colds/viruses (and less intense when/if we DO catch something) That's the nicest part..... less Dr's visits. I dispise antibiotics... I had a pediatrician tell me once that he was going to call protective services on me if I didn't give my son an antibiotic for his ear that was pink inside (he had the sniffles, of course it was gonna be pink) there was no sign of infection though, so I didn't want to bog him down w/ antibiotics "just in case"
Well we haven't had any issues like that in a couple years.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
heatherv said:
I had a pediatrician tell me once that he was going to call protective services on me if I didn't give my son an antibiotic for his ear that was pink inside
You have got to be kidding! Doesn't he read recent medical research, or what? The docs I work with understand that at least half are caused by viruses and need to run their own course anyway. Yikes!

By the way, I bet a few more pounds put on because of homegrown and homecooked food are better than a few less pounds on restaurant and other food ;)

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grew up in an overweight family. We never ate anything fresh or real. My parents both worked and meals were things like hotdogs and mac and cheese. Snacks were chips and ice cream and pop was a staple. We NEVER drank water. Little wonder I developed hypothyroidism (it also runs heavily in our family.) So, I wish I could I've lost weight with my lifestyle changes, but I haven't. But, my husband has, and my children are perfectly normal weights and very healthy. I've made it my mission to make sure they aren't raised the way I was and all their meals are made up of real foods, mostly grown and made by us. Snacks are fruits and veggies and we all drink water, constantly. As for me, I may not be as healthy weight-wise as I would like to be, but I have managed to avoid the other health problems that wreak havoc on my family. Things like diabetes and heart disease, and I'm hoping I'm breaking their cycle completely in the way that I raise my children.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
By the way, I bet a few more pounds put on because of homegrown and homecooked food are better than a few less pounds on restaurant and other food ;)
Well, we're happier, and much less stressed!!! I feel healthier? I just don't look so hot in a bathing suit anymore! :/ But DH still says I'm "hot" so that helps! I don't get nearly as many stress headaches and migraines. The kids are more secure. When we were gone working all the time they were whiney and insecure.

Gotta go pack! I hope I'm coming home w/ some silkies!!!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
heatherv said:
me&thegals said:
Well, we're happier, and much less stressed!!! I feel healthier? I just don't look so hot in a bathing suit anymore! :/ But DH still says I'm "hot" so that helps! I don't get nearly as many stress headaches and migraines. The kids are more secure. When we were gone working all the time they were whiney and insecure.

Gotta go pack! I hope I'm coming home w/ some silkies!!!
I know what you mean me&thegirls. Good luck with those silkies heatherc