Your Physical Self

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I personally sleep better...whether it be from the homegrown food, the work to get it or both, I don't care. I love my sleep!! lol....

I do notice that I have way more energy when I eat a sandwich from the garden vs a sandwich/burger from a restaurant. I have actually not had the craving for desert after every meal since eating homegrown food.

I can't say I've lost weight, but I hardly get headaches, and haven't been sick all year. I also noticed that my boys are not so 'antsy' when they have a homegrown meal. We don't have soda in the house...water, milk, juice, thats your choice, lol and they are in better moods as well.

I'd say the changes are subtle, but if you know your body or your habits, the change is noticeable

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're pretty healthy--no major and few minor health issues. But it seems the more work I do, the fatter I get. :lol: I think it's really the older I get the fatter I get, but whatever...It's certainly not for lack of activity, that's for sure. The to-do list around here isn't getting any shorter!

I have noticed that my lifestyle is hard on my body. Aside from all of the other "stuff", gardening, random farm chores, what have you--I have always worked with horses, and my body has been quite abused from that. I've certainly hit the ground more times than I can count. :rolleyes: I have a lot of nerve damage in my forearms/wrists/fingers. My back isn't in great shape. My knees are shot. And I have a severely twisted pelvis, which may have contributed (though I'll likely never know) to my son literally getting stuck while I was in labor, resulting in having to go to the hospital for a c-section (so not the plan!).

*sigh* And I have a 4-year old filly that really needs to get broke, but I have a feeling that it would me being "broken." :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
I grew up in an overweight family. We never ate anything fresh or real. My parents both worked and meals were things like hotdogs and mac and cheese. Snacks were chips and ice cream and pop was a staple. We NEVER drank water. Little wonder I developed hypothyroidism (it also runs heavily in our family.) So, I wish I could I've lost weight with my lifestyle changes, but I haven't. But, my husband has, and my children are perfectly normal weights and very healthy. I've made it my mission to make sure they aren't raised the way I was and all their meals are made up of real foods, mostly grown and made by us. Snacks are fruits and veggies and we all drink water, constantly. As for me, I may not be as healthy weight-wise as I would like to be, but I have managed to avoid the other health problems that wreak havoc on my family. Things like diabetes and heart disease, and I'm hoping I'm breaking their cycle completely in the way that I raise my children.
That is wonderful! It is so incredibly lucky for your kids to have a mother who cares enough about their health to make sure they get a great start in life with good habits! Some day they will be so grateful :) I feel so sad to see children unhealthy, overweight and unhappy because it is really out of their control and so difficult for them to change as adults. It's so uplifting to hear about parents breaking bad cycles for their own families!

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks me&thegals! I really enjoy those moments when my little ones reject pop at my parents house or candy at my MIL's. A few weeks ago my MIL gave the kids twizzlers, and after one bite my 4 year old says "Yuck! Mom! What is that? That is NOT food!" LOL! I must be doing something right! :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
Thanks me&thegals! I really enjoy those moments when my little ones reject pop at my parents house or candy at my MIL's. A few weeks ago my MIL gave the kids twizzlers, and after one bite my 4 year old says "Yuck! Mom! What is that? That is NOT food!" LOL! I must be doing something right! :)
That is good. They don't like any candy?!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Farm Mom...your kids sound like mine!! "no thank you" to the candy, soda, and sweets my MIL tries to push down their throats. I LOVE IT!! When all the other kids in the family are having sugar crashes, or bad mood swings from all the sweets they've consumed at Grandma's, mine are still out running around, and in pleasant moods.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Farm Mom...your kids sound like mine!! "no thank you" to the candy, soda, and sweets my MIL tries to push down their throats. I LOVE IT!! When all the other kids in the family are having sugar crashes, or bad mood swings from all the sweets they've consumed at Grandma's, mine are still out running around, and in pleasant moods.
:ep I like candy now and then.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ticks said:
farm_mom said:
That is good. They don't like any candy?!
Well, I wouldn't say they don't like ALL candy. We're really careful to make sure it's just a special treat (like at Halloween) and because my children have severe allergies, it makes what they can have a real challenge. They enjoy tootsie rolls, dum dums and sweeties. Because they are so restricted in their diets, I don't deny them these little "treats" on special occasions. But, I have noticed that my son's behavior gets really erratic when he's had too much HFCS. But yes, generally, my kids turn their noses up at the sugary sweets offered at family gatherings. They much prefer fruits and berries for their sweet fix.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Nuts! I wish my kids would be that way about candy, soda and chips! My in-laws consistently pushed junk at them and my kids have learned to love it. They're the ones who will eat WAY too much and embarrass me. When my son goes a little crazy (like the incredible amounts served to kids at school parties), he ends up throwing it all up. I try to use that as a learning experience that his body really does not want that much crap! I would be thrilled to have them turn up their noses at garbage! My sister has always fed her children well, absolutely not allowed others to undermine it, and they love to snack on black beans!

On the other hand, my kids just as much go nuts over blackberries picked in the wild, sugar snap peas or carrots fresh from the garden :) Yay! Way to go, everyone!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am very lucky with candy..Nicole (3) likes a little then she is done. I say, do you want this candy? and she just says No Thanks....I like when she says no.

Being younger she knows when to stop eating and never overeats. I wish my tummy would remember that! :)