Your Physical Self

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow, I love this thread! I'm curious how active members now would respond!

Before moving to our farm, DH and I sat on the couch and watched TV every evening and ate frozen pizza most of the time. I never ate vegetables!

We eat about 20# of veggies per week now. We cook more.

DH has more muscle mass. 😍

My chronic illnesses progressed after DS5 was born and after an early miscarriage 2 years later. Even with that I still think I'm healthier now. My metabolic bloodwork is better, I was 1 point off from prediabetic before we moved. I weigh about 15# less.

My mental health is better, for sure. My marriage is much better too.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you find that your health improved? Did you notice any changes to your physical self....like maybe losing a few lbs, improving a medical condition such as high blood pressure or anything that can be related to your changes in your household as you became more self sufficient.

I have put on a LOT of weight since moving here. I cook more as I have more to cook with, so eat a whole lot more than I used to!

I had successful competition horses and ran a riding school and agistment farms before I moved to this little country cottage, so I was very fit, barely slept and rarely ate every day due to lack of time and money (the horses ate it all 😂). My mental health was terrible, in a bad relationship, I was in expensive therapy, on all sorts of medication, very unwell, got physical injuries from the extremely heavy workload and spent a loooong time in hospitals coming out with multiple disabilities so the change in life and move was forced.

Now, I am very well rested, out of the medical/hospital trap, entirely drug free, (besides the occasional paracetamol for pain) and I had even saved enough money to go on a little holiday cruise - until covid killed that idea!

I do like life here but it was a huge change to teach myself to stop and smell the roses. My world view has really changed too and at times I struggle with my new found inabilities and limitations of living where I do. I miss horses.

The switch to a more devout Christian lifestyle has saved me most of all. Still working on that though ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Since my last post on this thread, I am off all medications now because of getting off of processed/packaged foods. I'm out of the medical system! 🙌

The change in my health from diet change has motivated me to source even less processed food, such as wheat berries instead of flour, and to move toward growing grain and gardening again after a couple years off.

Next up is increasing physical fitness.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since my last post on this thread, I am off all medications now because of getting off of processed/packaged foods. I'm out of the medical system! 🙌

The change in my health from diet change has motivated me to source even less processed food, such as wheat berries instead of flour, and to move toward growing grain and gardening again after a couple years off.

i know for me that gardening is my main motivation for improving and being more able to do things. injuries have happened since i've arrived here that are providing me with more challenges but i'm not going to give up i'll just have to find new ways of doing things and whatever i can't do i'll have to find some other way of managing that space (even if it means i have to bring someone else in to do the brush hogging or trimming). so far i'm able to keep up with an acre here of gardens and decorations with some help here or there from Mom. i'll have a friend take some dead trees down for me soon and the back field can be brush hogged at any time.

the hardest stuff for me now is managing the edges of the large ditches where it has been overgrown and made a real mess and some erosion issues that have to be dealt with somehow. i'm not sure when those are going to happen... next year i hope. we'll see... :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Conga Rats, @tortoise ! congarats 2.jpg

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food wise yes I eat healthier but as for everything else seems to be getting worse ( Gulf War Syndrome) The farming life is my therapy as it is for other vets, As this helps us , Please help our vets even with just assisting them with a vegetable garden that type of therapy helps just being outdoors around livestock and gardens.
Thank you ALL

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations for getting yourself out of the medical system! Thats a difficult challenge! I want that for myself too.
Congrats by the way! Doctors aren't bad but they certainly aren't fun.
I still get some mood swings but they aren't nearly as significant or home-life affecting.

I've actually gotten worse mood swings transitioning over to the ss lifestyle. It's really draining but I don't think I could ever go back. I've seen more doctors in these past 2 years TTC and I'm so glad that is almost over with. After babies are born all we have to do is vaccinate them and move on with our lives (or so I hope).

Latest posts