Yourbadd's Divergence Journal---Spring Fever!! Yeah Baby!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
DH lost his job back in October, right at the time my seasonal position slowed down. We were able to survive the last few months on savings all the while sending DH's resume out to every company we could find. Since manufacturing is all but dried up here in Ohio, I dusted off my resume and began sending it out as well.

Problem is...I look like crap on paper since I've been a stay-at-home Mom. On top of all this, you simply cannot apply in person anymore!! If I can just get some face time with a manager, I could land any number of jobs. There are few things I can't or am not willing to do.

This morning I finally got a response from one of my online applications and it seems I'm not qualified enough to stock shelves at Giant Eagle grocery store!!! Seriously?? :hu Seriously?? :idunno Seriously!!! :he

Hell, at this point, I'd shovel $hit for $7.00....where do I apply for that job!!!:barnie
Wait, they actually said you are not qualified?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is simply ridiculous... Anyone is qualified to stock shelves!! Pull it forward, put the new stuff at the back.
BTW, I missed you when you came in I think, so :welcome

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
The entire depersonified approach to jobs is ruining jobs everywhere. How do they hire you without contact first?

I apply online and it says DO NOT CALL.

So how do you check up?

And then all the frigging psych profiles on the apps!!! :somad

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They did use the word unqualified!!! I probably slipped up and answered a question wrong on their 100 question test. It just kept repeating the same question just re-worded, over and over and over.

I smile when I greet new people.
Strongly Agree Agree Neither Agree or Disagree Disagree Strongly Disagree

When I meet new people, I smile a lot.

I smile often when greeting new people.

I have a degree from a tech school for medical assisting, I ran a business for 4 years, I've worked in real estate, retail and food service....I'm a frequent grocery store shopper......How the heck and I not qualified to put cans and boxes on shelves???:barnie

I can see them saying I'm too short but come on!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DD just took a job (part-time) after being laid off for over a year. She has a Master's Degree in Elementary Education - couldn't get a teaching job, went the route of sending resume after resume in to companies that mostly didn't bother to call or even send a "No Thank You" letter.

But chin up people - our President (who never worked a real job his entire life) say's we're doing better.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
S'troo. We're practically out of the recession. All the politicians say so.

:lol:

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL, yea...I know! Recession is on it's way out, it's an old fad just like acid washed jeans :gig

Local paper came today and there is a secretary position advertised, will be mailing off my resume today. I keep telling myself that it can only get better!!!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, same here, yourbadd. When I moved here & started looking for a job again, I tried a new Walley World that was opening. I got all dressed up like it was for an interview, but when I get there they just sit you in front of a computer-like thing (like an old-timey Pac Man) & answer all those crazy questions asked 20 different ways.

And no, no acknowledgement whatsoever afterwards. :/

Good luck!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
had to laugh at your comment that our president hasn't worked a day in his life....that is probably why he is so grey headed now.

anyway, more jobs have been created in the last 18 months than in the previous 8 years, you can look it up!

still doesn't help when you are looking for a job and can't even get a darned interview.

in cuba, where there are no jobs either, everyone is doing whatever they can to make a little $ - selling food, things that are handmade, etc.

beats me how the stocks just keep going up and up and everyone else (that would be the 95% of us who aren't rich and getting richer by the minute) just gets poorer.

oh well!