100 Things Challenge - Join Me!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I doing "getting rid of 100 things." Because of my brain cooties, it would not be safe for me to be down to 100 things. Plus, most of my "stuff" is related to my sources of income. Home office doesn't count. But I should keep it contained in the designated room!

:gig

I think everyone makes up their own rules, and you really learn as you go, changing your spending habits.

My weakness has always been "cheap" stuff at thrift stores. Adds up in cost and piles d*mn fast! Since being with my fiance - who is in some ways very frugal - I've stopped that. And I'm enjoying being able to occassionally make a large purchase. $500 for a dog. $120 for a flute - the same model I bought in high school for $400. (Cha-ching!) $150 at Victoria's Secret. Spending money in bigger chunks gives me MUCH more satisfaction and much LESS junk.

ETA: typo

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Whew! Ok, I'm back in!
LOL.

Why don't you all state you goals? Down to 100 personal items? Or get rid of 100 items? Or de-clutter one particular room?

Some of us are bogged down in clutter - others are pretty sparse. I count myself in sparse, but paring down is always a good thing, IMO.

I have to be careful. My fiance might think that me giving things away is a sign I'm suicidal. Which I can't really blame him for since I have been lately. (Not now, don't freak out, I'm safe and happy, lol)

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If we don't count books I'm all for it.I don't really have much other than books and I would sooner burn all my clothes than give those up.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My challenge is the office. I'm more than 3/4 done though since I started last week. I've gotten rid of more than 100 things. Sooo... my challenge will be to post a picture of the room that I'm not embarrassed of!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
My challenge is the office. I'm more than 3/4 done though since I started last week. I've gotten rid of more than 100 things. Sooo... my challenge will be to post a picture of the room that I'm not embarrassed of!
Yay! I love photos!

I worked on my sewing room and chucked a lot of fabric. I had to admit to myself that I really did not have the skill, time, motivation, or health to use it and that it wasn't even of value to give away. It was hard.

I'm getting my grandpa's antique drawing table that I inherited and that will get my art stuff away from the couch and all my "work" things in one room. It will take a lot of work, but I hope I can post a photo that I'm proud of when I'm done!

I don't know what my goal is exactly. I guess starting by paring down things I don't use.

A lot of it for me is acknowledging my health/brain cooties and accepting that I really CAN'T do many things that I think I can when I'm hypomanic or manic. This is really hard to deal with. But in the end, I won't have so much guilt over things that I feel I should be able to do, or things I should have gotten done already.

I'm actually thinking about dropping one of my little businesses. It is fun - it is something I can do when I'm not well. But I will always be underpaid. Frustrating.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Henrietta23 said:
Yay! I love photos!

I worked on my sewing room and chucked a lot of fabric. I had to admit to myself that I really did not have the skill, time, motivation, or health to use it and that it wasn't even of value to give away. It was hard.
My sewing room is the dumping ground in the house - when inlaws come to stay all the crud from the spare room goes into the sewing room - and all our winter jacket and pants and things like that go in there too.
I have boxes of fabric, and boxes of old jeans I am determined to do something with.
There are plates and kitchen things in there too - I just can't part with pretty plates.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That's what the office is here. There were piles on the floor. Stuff I brought home from school for the summer, scrapbooking stuff, letterboxing stuff, Cub Scout stuff, DS's school stuff, stuff stuff stuff. When I started having to climb over piles of stuff to get to the computer I couldn't take it anymore. There's a lot less stuff and you can see the floor! Still can't find my desk area. But I'm close! There are now two piles; books DH needs to go through and put away, and some miscellaneous pads of drawing paper I need to find a spot for. And my school bag. And an empty plastic shoe box. Really, it's an improvement!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Books sound like clutter to me! Except my reference books for my job. Are you far away from a library?
books are not clutter.

i do throw everything i write or that gets written to me away though. i don't keep photos or journals or letters or any of that crap. i'm not a nostalgic sort.

i also don't keep anything i've outgrown or things i don't have a use for.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
tortoise said:
Books sound like clutter to me! Except my reference books for my job. Are you far away from a library?
books are not clutter.

i do throw everything i write or that gets written to me away though. i don't keep photos or journals or letters or any of that crap. i'm not a nostalgic sort.

i also don't keep anything i've outgrown or things i don't have a use for.
I agree with Abi... books aren't clutter. :) I love my books, and when they are organized they are not clutter, but I am willing to part with ones I haven't used or read in a long time.

I'm going to go for throwing away or donating 500 things before the baby arrives (10 weeks to go). My goal will be to take a picture of the cleaned and organized baby's room that right now is a storage room and could probably be a picture of a hoarders house (at least in that room). There are boxes in there that we haven't unpacked since we moved in (3 years ago).

Yesterday I did a contractors garbage bag full of clothing but didn't count how many things were in it... since I couldn't lift it I'm guessing it was a lot, one box of 27 books, 2 very old computers, and one bathroom vanity that I picked up from someone's garbage with the intention of refinishing, but never did it. I also moved all the stuff in the baby's room from there to the bathroom (which doesn't work) upstairs... I now have an empty room to start renovations on, and a bathroom full of boxes to go through.

Geez... I could probably get rid of 1000 things and not make a dent in our 'stuff'.