A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have one sprouted potato planted in a pot on my windowsill. It's a Magic Molly. I have more tubers of that variety on order. But... just in case the order falls through, I hope to be able to grow some tubers in the pot now, and plant them out in the spring. An experiment... Our avg. last spring frost is around May 10, but we can get a frost as late as Memorial Day.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same temps here. Haven’t said how much snow, Snowmeggdon is hitting tomorrow, Monday and Wednesday.

You will make your appointment. Supposed to be sunny Friday and Saturday, highs in 50’s Sunday and Monday. Good luck on your appointment, let us know how it goes.

In another few minutes I’ll go out to do chores, bust ice for horses and steer to get a drink. Haul boiling water to unfreeze water buckets for sheep, dogs and chickens. This. Ain’t. Fun. Have 17 lambs, cold doesn’t seem to bother them. I deep bedded the barn, actually a lean to roof off the portable building. There is an 8x8 shelter in it-my first shelter for my first sheep. LOL LOL the lambs go in there and cuddle up. Got one more ewe to lamb, anytime. 1 Great Pyrenees has a hay stuffed doghouse in the back yard and she can run to the back of the sheep barn. 1 Anatolian goes in the barn at night because of bobcats, the other Anatolian is in front pasture and has a snug part of the barn. Male Great Pyrenees and black Lab/Great Dane have the front yard, they have beds on the porch. Horses have their barn, steer has the Pig Palace. I can feed them enough, it’s just hard to keep water for them.

Tree branches are breaking off from the ice, once the snow hits, poor trees are gonna lose lots of limbs.

You are right, we are not set up for this!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tonight's weather report says snow is starting at 1 am. the low Monday will be -4 and low Tuesday will be -6.

there are rumors of rolling blackouts being scheduled. we have enough propane to make it through a night if needed but that's about it. the house is all electric.

it's 21 right now and the chicken coup is holding 36°f. the shed is holding 38. my dog is very unhappy about the shed but he's gonna have to suck it up.

we got candles, blankets, lanterns, camp stoves, a propane fire pit, carbon monoxide detectors and flash lights on the ready. idk what else can be done. just gotta drudge through it I guess. the waiting sux.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll be cutting saplings around the pond bank tomorrow with my chainsaw. Tomorrow looks like my window of opportunity. Mostly corkscrew Willow which ain't good for firewood. Then I can pile them up and burn them late next week while there is a good layer of snow on the ground. That's my plan anyways...

Screenshot_20210213-220822.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far, I haven't had to tote hot water this year! Unusual. I sure don't miss it. Still have two weeks of the dreaded Feb weather. :idunno 🤪. Hoping for none.

This cold is WAY beyond TX norms -- meaning the worst norms you see.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We haven't left the farm since Monday Feb 8th. It was 0 this morning when I got up @ 7:00 AM. This is what's forecast for today. I'm going to wait untill this afternoon to run the chainsaw.

Screenshot_20210214-102051.png

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snow hitting you yet? News just showed it a’ coming! Supposed to be here around 4. Going outside now to get started on chores.
News said ALL 254 Texas counties are under winter storm warning.