AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks!! I was So excited! LOL you would think I invented the bread recipe. Last night I had bread with my mom's homemade veggie soup, this morning I had bread with fried eggs from my hens. I visited with my folks and told them "the only thing missing was my own pork"
My dad said "If it weren't for your neighbor you could get a couple and raise them up" (speaking about my crazy neighbor, not the Old Neighbor). Sooooo I kind of mentioned how nobody complains about cattle around our place.... and how we could breed a cow for milk and possibly end up with a steer to raise for beef.

And my dad said "As long as I don't have to take care of it"

:woot

Now I have to sit back and seriously consider if a) he was serious and b) if my pasture will support my horse, a foster horse and a cow. In spring / summer it should be ok, but I will have to do a lot of hay in winter.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to put my sweet buff brahma, Pat, in the meatie run to get her away from the others. I guess Big Poppy pulled some feathers out at her neck and started her bleeding, but she was being pecked mercilessly.
When I went outside she would run full speed across the yard to get behind me and away from the others. She even followed me into the house, past Rio, to get away. I put some meds on it to cover up the blood hoping they would leave her alone, but the minute I put her down and they came over, she was getting pecked again.
I put some water, BOSS and pellets in for her. My favorite EE, Stink, was in with her as well. Pat wasn't afraid of her and Stink didn't pay any attention to the wound for the little while I was there. If Stink does get ideas to hurt her, Pat has room / places to get away. Poor girl, she was so pitiful following after me :(
If Poppy is the cause of this, he is going to be put on notice. I didn't want a rooster to begin with, his stay has been a courtesy.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
AL said:
his stay has been a courtesy.
I love how you phrased this! They say the meaner the rooster the better they taste!

On a side note, did you see in the natural remedies section, I used your fire cider that you posted a recipe for today. Worked like a charm! Thanks!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh really?!?! was it super hot? That is my hesitation, I am a "hot" wimp :p

Poppy is a sweet rooster to me.... he keeps a respectful distance unless he is chirping showing me "treats". But I won't have him tearing up my hens, especially not sweet Pat!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
No, it really wasn't hot. Of course I didn't drink it straight! I did a glop of cider in a glass. Tasted like a very oniony ACV. Very clean and refreshing and did the job. I don't think I've ever had this heightened sense of smell. I think it cranked my nose power up by ten! I rate it as a very inexpensive and effective remedy that I'll keep using.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will try making some then! (I know, pitiful to post a recipe and not try it, but I can't describe how much of a wimp I am about hot stuff :rolleyes: )

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Just don't sniff it! And be careful with the horseradish, it'll burn your nose so quick! I can about guarantee you'll only do that once in your life :lol:.