AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night I got home from work and found that the horses had gotten into the feed stall. One or both of them ate nearly a 50lb bag of pellets and the remaining 10lb or so of Skye's Sr feed. I have been keeping an eye on them, making sure they are grazing for roughage and drinking. Dang horses.

Pat was asking to join the other chickens today, so I put Stink in with her. They got along fine. Then while I was refilling her water some of the others came in and they were doing fine until Poppy started chasing her, then they all wanted to get her. So she is back in solitary. I guess if they won't let her rejoin the flock I will see if she will accept some chicks ... or maybe even if I can convince her to go broody and hatch her own? I think I read somewhere sometimes you can get them to set a nest by putting several golfballs or soemthing, and then sneaking in eggs? Anybody know if that is so?

Rio has been favoring his right knee again. Took him to the vet and he is too big and strong for them to find much by manipulating his leg, so I will have them sedate him in coming weeks to see what they can find.

Supposed to be cold again this weekend.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
AL said:
I think I read somewhere sometimes you can get them to set a nest by putting several golfballs or soemthing, and then sneaking in eggs? Anybody know if that is so?
If you have the right kind of chicken leaving wooden eggs in a nest or even golf balls WILL sometimes kindle the urge to go broody. Many newer breeds however have the "sit" bred completely out of them.

What kind of chicken is she again?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She is a hatchery Buff Brahma.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now I am all excited wanting to try to get Pat setting!! Never mind that it is still 'cold' weather :rolleyes:
I think she would be a great mama hen, she is so sweet. Might not be much of a protector, but maybe that would change when she is taking care of chicks and not just herself.

Those dang horses are fine, so far. Buddy is running, bucking and following poor old Buford nipping his tail. Skye doesn't do much but stand around on an average day, so it is harder to tell if something is going on with her.

Tomorrow morning I have my MRI. If you hear about an earthquake in Florida, you will know that the Valium didn't work and I tore the building down to get out of that little tube!! (yes, extreme claustrophobia here ... I would put the "hide under the chair" smiley, but I can't breathe there :p )

By the way, chickenkitty, I haven't posted that bread recipe because after the first day it was very disappointing... heavy and chewy. Not sure what happened? But I WILL try again, maybe a different recipe.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you are so funny!

but really you will be fine. if not just start screaming uncontrollably and they will give you more and better drugs
;-)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh believe me, they will have no doubt I need more drugs lol

In OFG's post on her journal she talked about her Lil Mo cat getting in the shot everytime she tried to take a photo... made me remember this of Crazy Agnes while I was trying to get Pat and her only friend, my EE Stink.

1857_crazyagnes.jpg

I finally gave up and took it while standing up instead of trying to get eye level
1857_pat_and_stink.jpg

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
that has GOT to be one of the funniest chicken pix EVER! whoooot!

i think i love crazy agnes.....she's my kinda gal!