Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I am getting old. I don’t know what I did to my right shoulder but it has been hurting since yesterday afternoon. I have a Lidoderm patch on and I have no intention of removing it. Took aspirin and muscle relaxer and still hurting. I guess I can predict the weather because it’s about to get serious here.
DH and his ‘imaginary friend’ are outside tending to things. IF just cut more on the fallen pine which I think went even lower so I guess they trying to protect the pig pen from the inevitable. I don’t think the pigs appreciate DH and IF being in their pen making all that racket.
DH feels better but last night he did claim it felt like his chest was burned.
Oh crap….a tiny potbelly pig is loose in the yard. But we gonna have a lot of cordwood really soon. I guess DH is concerned about the wind storm.
I got a feeling it’s not going to be a good day for drying. But if the plants aren’t laying down I guess they will appreciate the expected rain. You people expecting whatever is coming for me…stay safe.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can build underground houses above ground, but it would take some work and research to make sure to do it right. the more moisture you get the harder things become.

sorry you are in pain, sometimes it may just take a few weeks to adjust to the new activity level so i hope it is that and not worse to cope with.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don’t mind nursing as long as I am working with people who have my back and allow my accommodations but yeah I am up for an easier job with benefits and because of farming and prepping and a lifetime of frugality I suppose I can be part-time. And really a big part of my decision to go back to work is because DD needs some kind of income and loved her laundry position so much and having a working relationship with me. Everything is rather complicated.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I knew it was time to go in the kitchen. DH was complaining about how SIL had redesigned his mother’s kitchen and was losing all his stuff. I stepped in and he went out to ‘spread the love.’ That’s what we call feeding the livestock. Honestly he is a great chef but he needs an assistant to work around him and organize the kitchen behind him. I got the counter found and put the two head of cabbage from St Patrick parade in the crockpot for a casserole, picked up all the onions and potatoes. We have quite a mess of eggs so I went through them and picked out the small ones for boiling so all we’d have left are large. He came back in and I had coffee ready and two salads and the beginning of a side dish for tonight. He felt better and grabbed some venison from the freezer. Gotta work fast finish spreading the love at other locations before church.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH and his imaginary friend have a new plan. They figured they have 5 pregnant potbelly pigs. So they thinking 10 piglets each, sell 40 at Tractor Supply when they 6 weeks old and so cute and we eat 10. I don’t know about this one. I told them if it doesn’t work we having a few slaughter days and putting those piglets in gallon size Ziplocks
That's a risky plan? 😅

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I love them for the age I am. DH and I can totally slaughter one, process and not have to worry about running out of freezer space. Think….bantam swine. I don’t know if DH and his imaginary friend will actually sell piglets but if they don’t, at least I know we can schedule slaughter days and not have a problem. We have a full size picnic table in the yard. I bet we can kill 3 pigs and each scrap one and gutting them would be not much harder than a goose. I wouldn’t even need the big pot and propane burner. I could make hog head cheese right on the stove top or in the crockpot like I once did…and I didn’t have a team of women helping me chop greens either. It’s just people don’t consider them as meat animals. I do.

Latest posts