Are we living our dreams?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Try using a squirt bottle or a water gun when your buck is coming towards you in an aggressive manner. Goats HATE water and especially in their face. That way you can get him from a distance and you don't even have to get your hands dirty!

Figs are overtaking my world too. I'll be loading the dehydrator tonight or tomorrow and get a batch of fig 'raisins' going. They're pretty darn tasty!

Glad DH is being at least civil...

Oh, an air conditioned body suit - sign me up for that!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Figs! I love them. Last year a friend gave me some and I made up a lemon fig preserve, here's the recipe.

Fig Preserves
3 cups sliced figs-thin
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 3 lemons
2 cups sugar
Bring to a boil, them simmer on medium heat until it thickens up. Pack in hot jars and water bath. I got 2-- 1/2 pint jars and 1 pint jar.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stomach flu--ACV! I mix ACV half and half with honey, pour some in a small glass and fill with water. Sip on it and it will kill all those bad bugs that are kicking your gut around. Even if throwing up, it still works.

Herbal ciggs....if it works, why not?

Merry Christmas!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Doesn't it feel good to see progress?

I had some cut roses sprout awhile back. I had thought about seeing if I couldn't get them to grow, so I did some research on it. While it is possible, the problem is that they were, in all probability, from a graft. And, at least in this area, they normally don't do well. However, it's much warmer where you live, so go for it.

Glad you took the time w/your DD 11. IMO, that's one of the most important things you did today.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that my clothes drier is not heating up. DS and I are at odds about what to do with that problem. He wants me to go buy a new one. No problem, right?? Well, I hesitated and its almost a week now, that I have been line drying, inside and out, depending on the weather. Well, I hope he has enough clothes to get thru the weekend of work, while I'm away, because I haven't figured to open my major appliance repair book yet, but I will....like almost right now. Hope its something easy. Its just no flame....and a dusty mess.
Well, I am very proud of my clothes line...one of DH's better ideas and when I found out the situation I was in, I cleaned my clothes line rope with a soap and bleach solution, which took a good while and now, it looks brand new, except for about 9 feet, I can't reach. So I'm not afraid to hang my uniforms out there. Also, I was given some advice from my bff a few years back which I should have questioned her on when my washing machine went out....she told me to not get rid of my old washing machine cuz the new ones use 1/3 the water the old ones did....apparently we have a water shortage or something....idk. I've seen pics of the world and have a globe and it all looks pretty wet to me and besides, I'm completely surrounded by water and even lose my yard at times, and my house is 8 feet up to keep the water out, so I just don't get it, but anyways, we need to use less water. So when my washer broke I went to her and she showed me a washer that she claimed would come closest to what I want, but it costed a bit more, but I bought it. Well, it took while for me to discover that it wasn't as good as I liked and she got her butt chewed a while, but then I played with it and discovered I could over-ride the setting and demand more water, so now, I'm happy, but drier is out.
Well, in all of this, DS's shirts began to get pit stains, which he never had before. I thought some of them would need to be thrown and it looked like he was about to throw a beloved t-shirt he loves to wear and I told him Mawmaw had a treatment for stains....let me try. And it worked, so I have been removing stains ever since on the kids shirts. Its pretty basic...just wash your stained garment as best you can, without drying and then rub some soap into the stain, then hang on a line for a day and night...'Let the sun and moon do their thing to it.' Then put it back in the laundry and wash it with the rest of the laundry and see what happened. I guess I probably have told ya'll that my grandmother was a genius.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so sad that there are people out there willing to manipulate and use the elderly. You didn't go into detail, but I would be willing to bet donuts to dollars that she threatened him and he struck out in self defense.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that it's even possible to make your own solar panels for a fraction of the cost of buying them.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I know about doing chores in the dark. Not fun! My headlamp has saved me a ton of effort since it frees my hands up! With horses that's really helpful.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Trust your heart and your gut. They know the answer. Your head will be afraid of all the what is and the fear of failure. But your gut will know if it is right for you.
:hugs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm making a deal with myself. Waiting to see what kind of return I will get and thinking about if its over a certain amount, putting it in writing, that I want to go part-time in 2 weeks.
Well, I get up late this morning, drink my coffee and I have chicks peeping in the bator. Hoping they are just early birds and the majority will really hatch tomorrow, which is usually the case, right??? Right. Well, I'm putting water in the hatcher and putting the hatcher on, so I can make room for the really dark eggs I want to hatch next and I transfer the eggs when I see it went up to 90, because the chicks can handle it and it will be to 99 really soon.....probably by now. Had to throw a goose egg that is leaking...hate that.
All of a sudden there is DS....all gun hoe with his own agenda, wanting to know if I will cut grass....NO!!! He cuts a while, then decides the pool has got to go, so he is pulling it apart right now. Good thing because it was rusted out at some of the connections and fell apart. But does make me sad cuz I don't feel I got my $ worth. Then he is pointing to the logs and telling me we have to deal with that too.....You think???? I tell him we need to rack it before it gets too hot, which today is......Welcome to South Louisiana!!!! My AC's are on.
Need to hurry with school and see what all I can accomplish for my girls and lunch will be late too.
I can almost say, with certainty, that my she-goat is pregnant. Her teats are engorged. She is always wide though.
Came in to make home-made gatoraid, but only had grapefruit juice to use as my orange juice, but did it anyways. Hope the kids like it.
DS fixed the drier. He worked 2 of his off days at his old workplace, which sells furniture and appliances to our locals. He ordered the part for $3, rather than a $600 drier. Proud of him. But I'm still line drying when time allows and to keep the house cool. I've gone about 2 months without a dryer and it didn't kill me. Yes a drier is nice to have, but its just a luxury to me.
So I ordered some straw, because I want to use my wood ash to make lye with. Not sure where I will get the lard. Maybe I will buy some boston butts and trim off the slab of fat to make cracklings and have my own lard. But I want to try some soap. I wanna stockpile some stuff like that. Fix lots of things and get myself started. Need to get DD 26 to fix me some business cards for all my hobbies. Amen....See y'all